2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dumb REVERSED JUMPER CABLES

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
onecat1dude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb REVERSED JUMPER CABLES

YESTERDAY I went to start my truck and the battery was completely dead. I cleaned terminals & checked resistance between P&N wires and got 1.5 ohms with key in off position and doors closed underhood light disconnected. A friend of mine gave me a jump and stupid me I trusted him to connect the cables correctly. I connected my side and he conected his side . I tried to start it and nothing happened i got out and found he had reveresed the cables
I got the truck started and then the gauges went backwards and it cut off. i started it again and disconnected the positive terminal from the batt. and it died so i figured the alt. is not putting out.Can anyone tell me what to expect to have to change because of the reversed cables.I will really appreciate any and all help from someone who knows what to expect or has expereinced this screw up themselves. Yuo can email me directly at onecat1dude@att.net

Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Dumb REVERSED JUMPER CABLES

Firstly, when jumping a vehicle, connect the cables as follows:

Positive (donor) to Postive (recipient)
Negative (donor) to GROUND (recipient) This means the frame, engine block, wherever, but NOT CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY OF THE RECIPENT VEHICLE [:@]

Yes, sparks are pretty and for a great show any escaping hydrogen gas can explode and injury can result. The other reason to connect the cables as I stated is that the donor vehicle is acting in place of the starting circuit, so you keep the battery OUT of the loop.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

never, never, never, never assume your buddy is doin the right thing. most of them will talk big and then when it comes down to it, they are retarted.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

never, never, never, never assume your buddy is doin the right thing. most of them will talk big and then when it comes down to it, they are retarted.
Dayum! Been there, done that, read the book, own the movie and even got a t-shirt out of that one. Ex-wife's best friend's husband was the biggest shiat-talker when it came to working on vehicles. I learned, soon enough, he's the biggest hack in the world who takes unnecessary short-cuts and talks just enough trash to confuse and befuddle whomever he's with.

Also note, when jumping a vehicle with POSITIVE ground (yes, they are out there), do as follows:

Negative (donor) to Negative (recipient)
Positive (donor) to GROUND (recipient) on the chassis, block, etc.

NEVER CROSS CONNECT, LIKE SOME PEOPLE DO, MEANING YOU NEVER, EVER CONNECT POSITIVE (DONOR) TO NEGATIVE (RECIPIENT) AND NEGATIVE (DONOR) TO POSITIVE (RECIPIENT).

Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Houston4x4
Rookie

Pretty sure that screws up the battery when you do that. But my experience with that was the donor vehicle was correct and the recipient was backwards. It smoked the recipents battery.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
onecat1dude

so far all i've gotten is a reaming from everyone but i guess none of you can anwser my question. I already know that i made a big mistake so now i need knowlege to help me correct what has happened.Please no more wasted comments, i'm hard enough on myself for being so stupid as to trust some one else with such a critical task as connecting two wires up correctly.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Gary-L
Legend

So what's the question? Is your truck starting or not?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:03 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

um... no one is reaming you. [sm=violin.gif]

check your battery, its prolly cooked.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:05 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test the battery , alt , check fuses , check your PCM , since your reverse the charge hope you did not fry the PCM...

i would take it to a shop then have your friend pay for it...
... the old saying goes : IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING , MAYBE YOU SHOUDNT BE DOING IT...

Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 PM
wvjefo
Professional

Onecat

Yeah, you need to check the Batt, Fuses, then wiring, finally PCM.

Electrical in a ride can be a pain when there is a problem.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Dumb REVERSED JUMPER CABLES