2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone buying tires based on Rolling Resistance? Here is a recent rating.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone buying tires based on Rolling Resistance? Here is a recent rating.

245's seem kinda small. I know our trucks were supposed to come with 225, but that is highly doubtful. I run 265's

Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Default RE: Anyone buying tires based on Rolling Resistance? Here is a recent rating.

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

245's seem kinda small. I know our trucks were supposed to come with 225, but that is highly doubtful. I run 265's
Your truck maybe, but according to the sticker on the door, stock was 245's, and the optional tire size was 265.
Maybe its smaller on 2wds?
the difference between 245 and 265 is not a lot. The plow truck at my gym uses 245's and I parked next to it and I would guess its about 0.5-0.75 inches. But that might be enough to make it look like 10 speed tires, I am going to stick with the 265s.
The test was done with tires in that size, and I couldn't find it for larger tires.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/t_in...p;storyID=8441

text

Michelin unveils 'eco-friendly' winter tire

February 13, 2008
Michelin X-Ice Xi2, earlier today, Feb. 13,
at a ride-and-drive event near Montreal, Quebec.
_Keeping in line with Michelin's green focus, the product is being touted as an "eco-friendly tire...(that) helps consumers save fuel thanks to its special silica-based rubber compound." "The X-Ice Xi2 has passed rolling resistance tests with flying colors and it was done with no compromise to handling, grip or wear life," says Normand Latremouille, winter category manager, Michelin. The T-rated tire will be available starting this fall in 42 sizes, ranging from 13 inches to 18 inches in diameter "and will cover more than 90% of the U.S. winter tire market for cars and minivans," say Michelin officials.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels
In my opinion its ridiculous to burn up a set of mudding/offroading tires on pavement. Invest in 2 sets, you already get a set of stock rims for free.
If you had a hydrolic jack and an impact wrench yeah... maybe. (and I do have an impact wrenchan I still wouldn't do it) It's just not worth spending 20-30 minutes every 3 days to jack your truck up swap the tires, then go stash the tires you're not using, then come home and take your muddy *** tires off and get filthy dirty, then spend another 20-30 minutes putting your street tires back on after you're already all beat up from the trail. Then you have to drive around with gay looking tires on your truck all the time when you're out where people can see it. It's more of a hassle than you think. I'd rather just buy another set of tires when they wear down past functionality. I mean the worst of mud tires still get about 15,000 miles. Which is about a year with the mileage I put on my truck. I can buy a new set of tires every year. Actually I'd rather buy a new set every years so I can try something new. Gives me something to look forward to.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer
If you had a hydrolic jack and an impact wrench yeah... maybe. (and I do have an impact wrenchan I still wouldn't do it) It's just not worth spending 20-30 minutes every 3 days to jack your truck up swap the tires, then go stash the tires you're not using, then come home and take your muddy *** tires off and get filthy dirty, then spend another 20-30 minutes putting your street tires back on after you're already all beat up from the trail. Then you have to drive around with gay looking tires on your truck all the time when you're out where people can see it. It's more of a hassle than you think. I'd rather just buy another set of tires when they wear down past functionality. I mean the worst of mud tires still get about 15,000 miles. Which is about a year with the mileage I put on my truck. I can buy a new set of tires every year. Actually I'd rather buy a new set every years so I can try something new. Gives me something to look forward to.
you only get 15K on mudders?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, on like bias ply TSLs or boggers, or any bias ply tire. I mean you might be able to get more out of them, but after a certain extent they suck in the environment for which they were intended for.

My trXus m/ts get wear better than that, and i'm sure most radial mud tires do as well. I've heard of more than one person getting 30,000 miles out of a set of swamper SSRS

Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
WesV
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can vouch for the BFG Long Trails. We put a set on Dad's '78 F150 4x4 back in 2002 I believe and they are awesome. The wet and snow traction is wonderful, they ride smooth and quiet, honestly quieter the the LTX MS I used to have on another truck (didn't have to truck long enough to find out how well the tires held up). The have 20-25K on them and they still have better then half tread. Off road they do surprising well, not as good as the BFG T/A KO, but well worth the road manners.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star

ORIGINAL: WesV

I can vouch for the BFG Long Trails. We put a set on Dad's '78 F150 4x4 back in 2002 I believe and they are awesome. The wet and snow traction is wonderful, they ride smooth and quiet, honestly quieter the the LTX MS I used to have on another truck (didn't have to truck long enough to find out how well the tires held up). The have 20-25K on them and they still have better then half tread. Off road they do surprising well, not as good as the BFG T/A KO, but well worth the road manners.
That seems to be what I hear about them, good over all traction and long lasting. the low RR rating is just the cherry on top. not to mention they aren't expensive at all.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 PM
bobbos_ram
Rookie

mickey thompson baja claw radials are good all around tires ive had friends get about 70k on their tires which aint bad for their tread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

buddy of mine has those mickey's. they clump mud and are horrible off road, according to him. my bfgs have no problem throwin mud, but those were like they had glue on em or somethin.

Quick Reply: Anyone buying tires based on Rolling Resistance? Here is a recent rating.