2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Universal joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal joint replacement

So live in northeast ohio and those of you that watch the news at all know that we got about 12-16 inches of snow in 2 days. Long story short have alot of friends who cant drive and all get stuck, so ive been the tow truck driver. Finally got the last one out today, after i was done put the truck back in 4x2 and started driving down the road. To hear a loud clunk/bang/knock in the front right wheel. Pull over get under the truck grab the axle low and behold the universal joint is done axle has lots of play right at the universal. What am i getting into here? taking it to my bosses shop tomorrow odds are he will be busy and i get to figure out how to do this. How long of a job am i looking at? have all the tools i need at my finger tips just a matter of figuring it out. Any special tips or tricks i should know to getting this out. Searched the DIY section for a universal joint and couldnt find one. Anybody have one hiding they can get the link to?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Universal joint replacement

here you go. lots of good DIY here...
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/hub.php

this job can be awful. first pita is the big axle nut. second is getting the bearing out of the knuckle. if you get it apart, use anti-seize on everthing when you put it back together.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 AM
pipeking
Veteran

ya geting the 4 bearingraces out ofthe knuckle is a pain but if you slide your axle out its no problem; you can bring it on the bench and pound away,that what i did.i think i got 1 or 2 races out but then the axle had to much play and couldnt get the others out with out breakin somthing so i think i cut the rest of the joint out and slide the axle out and finished at the bench.so i would say do that.hope it helps

Old 03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

Did the job today took about 2 hours with lunch in the middle. Not an aful job but not a fun one. Impact tools are my best friend. Got the impack chisle in there to get the bearing assembly off but other than that not to bad. One of the 3 bolts that holds the bearing on was destroyed once i got it off, somehow the previous owner ripped chunks out of the middle of the bolt then slapped it back on, had to go to the stealership and get the bolt freaking 16 bucks for ONE bolt, list at 22 so wow... just wow lol, only paid 19 for the universal so, shes all back together. Glad to have that annoying click gone. Thanks for the tips guys

Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
pipeking
Veteran

congrads,i was gonna say try impact chizil but it didnt work for me mine was lock on, well good for u taz

Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
miknwv
Veteran

im bout to do the same thing, my U-joint on the passenger side axle is rattling. im under the impression all i need is the $10 U-joint, some anti-seize, cotter pins and bearing grease.....so far this si probably runnin me under $30, im gonna do it myself. it says to replace both hubs, but is this absolutely necessary? those things are $200 apiece!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
miknwv
Veteran

holy crap....that was a 7 hour job for me!!!! most of it was fine til it said "remove the rotor"........ okay, i pryed, banged and beat on it for an hour to no avail....i finally had to put a 4x4 between the rotor and the frame and turn the steering wheel to pry it out....and even then it pryed hte rotor, U-joint and entire axle out LOL. but..in the end, i got 'er done. not a fun job, but if there was zero rust and the U-joint wasnt fused to the axle joint, i'd say its a 2 hour job like the tutorial says lol

Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

I need to do this as well. That annoying CLICKING is gettin on my nerves and winter is a comin. I will need the 4wheel in Michigan. Is there any Links or DIY instructions? I have a Haynes manual but it doesn't show as much detail as I'd like. I have ever air tool known to man. (or at least known to Matco) I just need a little help with what to do first. I can't have the truck down more than a night. It's my only vehicle and I work 7 days a week. Could someone please post a link or something to help. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!

It is a 95' 1500 4x4 with 5.2L if that helps.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you read this whole thread? The second post gives you a link.

Quick Reply: Universal joint replacement