2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PS box leaking, replace or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
KevinK
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS box leaking, replace or rebuild?

...I just noticed a few drops on the ground the other day, ...it's the seal of the output shaft of the steering box that's the culprit. I'm going to keep an eye on it, ...but in the mean time...

A couple questions, ...has anyone attempted to rebuild these themselves? (if so, where did you get the kit? ...what special tools did you need?)
Or, ...would you just replace the steering box? ...and if so, ...where did you get it?

...my truck is a 97 4x4 1500, ...anyone know if the steering box is different on the 2500's (or3500's), ...and what other years/models would be the same as '97?

I'm open to any suggestions/input here...

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 03-12-2008, 12:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PS box leaking, replace or rebuild?

I don't know what other years will work but swapping the 3500 box on is a common modification. I think it's supposed to be more heavy duty but I don't know about that for sure. It's a fixxed ratio instead of a varible one though so it ends up being about half the price of the 1500 one and from what I've read just as good if not better. I'd either do the swap for the 3500 one if I was on a budget or go with a PSC steering box if I never wanted to mess with it again. Everything I've read about them has been great.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie

Had same leaking issues on mine...didnt rebuild or replace put lucas in for about a month and the leak wnet away seven bux later im still good. lol 2000 dodge ram

Old 03-12-2008, 12:55 PM
KevinK
Amateur

...thanks for both the replies, ...I've heard good things about both PSC units, ...AND the Lucas oil.

I'm not completely familiar with Lucas, ...did you need to replace all the fluid, ...or is it an additive? (I assume Autozone carries it...?) That seems like it's worth a try before I change anything...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM
KevinK
Amateur

...a couple links I found on this...

https://dodgeforum.com/m_344401/tm.htm

...and I guess it's not that bad to replace the seal... http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php

Old 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie

I took some out with a suction straw or somehting to drain sum out, topped it off and just added as necessary granted didnt stop asap but oce i had about 3/4 bottles thru it just stopped. if ur looking to save a couple bux wouldnt hurt to try.

Quick Reply: PS box leaking, replace or rebuild?