2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:51 AM
dodgeballz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing adjustment?

Hi all!
New here, but I think I've found my new home on the web! Everyone here seems very knowledgable and I wish I had found this place a year ago when I did all the mods to my ram! (Lift, Intake, Axle Swap, so on and so forth) I seem to have guided myself through most of this without incident (too much incident atleast), but i always try to get other oppinions as I am not a certified mechanic or anything...yet. Anywho--My timing is like SERIOUSLY off...Way Way advanced...she still runs and drives, but I have lost tons and tons of power...feels like i'm driving a ford or something My question is before i subject myself to the massive amounts of fun, joy, and rapture involved with an all out timing chain/sproket replacement, is there any way to adjust my timing settings? Jesus, maybe if I could SEE the distributor I might be able to tell if there is some way to adjust it....but since I can't, maybe one of you guys could point me in the right direction. Yes, yes new cap, rotor, plugs and wires have been installed within the last 400 miles, but today i decided to check the plugs, see their condition due to my unusualy poor running conditions and my #8 plug is black and gunky as hell! I immagine this has to do with my timing issue...Dont ask how advanced it is, when the #1 plug fires, the notch on the pully is pointing straight up...atleast an inch from the MOST ADVANVED point of the guage on the engine.

Sorry for rambling, but I wanted to introduce myself and explain my problem (one of them) all in one shot.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

-Dylan[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 12-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: Timing adjustment?

How many miles are on your engine? Yes, you can adjust the distributor, but you can do a few easy checks before messing around with it. To see if your problem is the timing chain, set the engine at top dead center. When it's in position, remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 position. If it is, your timing chain is fine.

Also, check to see if you have a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Remove your air cleaner and pear down your throttle body and look for oil sitting on the intake pan.

Also, is your check engine light on?

Old 12-28-2004, 02:55 AM
dodgeballz

The truck has 175,000 on her...I dont seem to have any oil in the intake...I havent tried checking with TDC and the #1 position of the dist...once I do that how would I go about adjusting the dist. if that is what needs to be done? --The CEL is not on.......
-Dylan

Old 12-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Rare TA
Amateur

I just got done doing the timing chain on my '98 and it's a lot easyer that you would think. Once the AC comp and alt are off and the mounting plate it's all wide open on the front of the engine. By the way you don't have to loose the freon either as the comp just lays over to the right side of the engine without disconnecting the hoses. Go here for a great artical on this job.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/timingchain.php

By the way you don't have to remove the water pump to do the chain replacement but I would install a new one since your there.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:39 PM
dodgeballz

OK...I guess I know what I'm in for now...thanks! Even if it's not the chain itself causing my timing issues, with 175,000 miles I think I'd better do it anyway...

[sm=thanx.gif]
-Dylan

Old 12-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Rare TA
Amateur

I have 141,000 on mine now. I had it appart to fix the intake belly pan and decided to check the timing chain since i was so close. Boy I'm glad I did, as I can't believe the chain had not jumped since it was so loose. You could turn the crank at least one tooth befor it would start to move the cam. I replaced the factory type chain with a double roller type. The truck runs so much better now. It also had a blowen belly pag gasket so I replaced the tin pan with a billet alum one from APS.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Rare TA
Amateur

I have 141,000 on mine now. I had it appart to fix the intake belly pan and decided to check the timing chain since i was so close. Boy I'm glad I did, as I can't believe the chain had not jumped since it was so loose. You could turn the crank at least one tooth befor it would start to move the cam. I replaced the factory type chain with a double roller type. The truck runs so much better now. It also had a blowen belly pag gasket so I replaced the tin pan with a billet alum one from APS.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:43 AM
SnipeRT
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Ramtuff
Yes, you can adjust the distributor, but you can do a few easy checks before messing around with it.
Since when does adjusting the distributor on a Magnum motor adjust ignition timing? I guess I must be retarded for thinking that rotating your distributor adjusts your fuel sync.

Quick Reply: Timing adjustment?