2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing Chain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 AM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Timing Chain Questions

Yeah, well I've been interested in air tools, just don't have the $$ for them or the space for a tank. I'm assuming your talking about a compressor anyway. Plus they are kinda noisy to use in a neighborhood IMO. If I had some land or at least 10-20 yards between the other house and the one I'm staying at, it'd be easier.

What kind of price range would a setup cost that I'd need for this job? Can't buy one, but interested your estimate.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 AM
nolazach
Veteran

I can't really see the problem with using a compressor in a neighborhood. Not much louder than a pressure washer or a lawnmower. Can't see it being a problem plus it only runs when it needs too fill the tank.

I just did the same exact thing you are doing. Trust me you don't want to have to mess with the transmission inspection plate. You have to remove the starter to do that, and the top bolt is a pain. I have heard of people using the bolt holes in the harmonic balancer to hold it still while breaking the 140lb bolt. I used an air compressor. I bought one with impact wrench for $100. Harbor freight all the way, so what if it don't last, its cheap.

Anyway, make sure you read the diys carefully. Look at the FSM. Under the Faqs there is a link to parts listings for specific model years. Here you can find breakdowns of every componet in your truck. So in case you forget how something goes back, or if you mix some bolts up you will be able to tell where they go.

First thing is to remove your belt. Then get a to get is a strap wrench and put that on the water pump. Get you a big cresent wrench or a pipe wrench on the fan shaft and remove the fan. Set it down in the shroud. Remove the four screws holding on the shroud. Also the water tanks on each sideas well as hoses. Pull the housing and fan out at the same time.

Once you have done this it is very easy to work on the engine. You can get at everything.

Yeah you probably can get away with torquing by feel with most bolts. Yet, you really don't want to go over 12ftlbs for the intake bolts. A cracked intake would be a bad side-effect of not properly torquing the bolts. Also there is a specific order you must use, same goes for the plenum plate. Harbor freight sells an inch pound torque wrench and a ftlbs one for about $10 a piece. You will need them and the price is right, plus they have the Harmonic balancer puller for $6.99.

You can always ask for help, I came across snags here and there. pay attention to what people say, if someone gives you bad advice, another poster will usually correct him..

Just do a couple of searches ask around and read the diys here and at Pavement sucks.
The hardest part of the whole thing is that bolt, once you get it the rest just falls in place.

Go for it, if you hit a snag, post away and someone will help you out, worked for me.

It is a weekend job.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just pulled the crank bolt 30 min ago. Eating and posting right now.

I had to use a 24" long 1/2" thick breaker bar and a crow bar in the flywheel. I had the crow bar wedged between the flywheel and the tranny case, and pulled the opposite way with the breaker bar while laying on my creeper. Probably looked ridiculous doing it but it broke loose a lot easier than I thought it would. I used PB Blaster on the bolt, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
DPR250R
Professional

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan
here's a post with lots of pics.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_735291/tm.htm

[IMG]local://upfiles/38819/08DE40F6B1B34D13A2676107C275586D.jpg[/IMG]
I noticed you have the water pump off without removing the compressor and alternator.... can you replace the pump and chain wihtout removing them??

Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

ORIGINAL: nolazach

I can't really see the problem with using a compressor in a neighborhood. Not much louder than a pressure washer or a lawnmower. Can't see it being a problem plus it only runs when it needs too fill the tank.

I just did the same exact thing you are doing. Trust me you don't want to have to mess with the transmission inspection plate. You have to remove the starter to do that, and the top bolt is a pain. I have heard of people using the bolt holes in the harmonic balancer to hold it still while breaking the 140lb bolt. I used an air compressor. I bought one with impact wrench for $100. Harbor freight all the way, so what if it don't last, its cheap.

Anyway, make sure you read the diys carefully. Look at the FSM. Under the Faqs there is a link to parts listings for specific model years. Here you can find breakdowns of every componet in your truck. So in case you forget how something goes back, or if you mix some bolts up you will be able to tell where they go.

First thing is to remove your belt. Then get a to get is a strap wrench and put that on the water pump. Get you a big cresent wrench or a pipe wrench on the fan shaft and remove the fan. Set it down in the shroud. Remove the four screws holding on the shroud. Also the water tanks on each sideas well as hoses. Pull the housing and fan out at the same time.

Once you have done this it is very easy to work on the engine. You can get at everything.

Yeah you probably can get away with torquing by feel with most bolts. Yet, you really don't want to go over 12ftlbs for the intake bolts. A cracked intake would be a bad side-effect of not properly torquing the bolts. Also there is a specific order you must use, same goes for the plenum plate. Harbor freight sells an inch pound torque wrench and a ftlbs one for about $10 a piece. You will need them and the price is right, plus they have the Harmonic balancer puller for $6.99.

You can always ask for help, I came across snags here and there. pay attention to what people say, if someone gives you bad advice, another poster will usually correct him..

Just do a couple of searches ask around and read the diys here and at Pavement sucks.
The hardest part of the whole thing is that bolt, once you get it the rest just falls in place.

Go for it, if you hit a snag, post away and someone will help you out, worked for me.

It is a weekend job.
thanks for the heads up man, appreciate it. I don't have even the 100 to stretch lol. I miss having a harbor freight 30 min away. Didn't like most of their stuff, but I could make out like a bandit if I had 200 bucks in there. I agree with the specialty tools; buy em cheap. You, as a garage mechanic, won't use them enough to get a warranty out of them for.

I have a list going on and right now I'm adding

pulley puller kit

I also noticed aim did it a way I may end up doing it. IDC how I look doing it, the hard way is best done first, then it's easier the next time. I feel fairly confident I can wrench this thing down without using an elite torque wrench. I've been wrenching since I was 4 or 5 lol. My dad has taught me a few tricks of the trade. AMAZES me how many kids my age (20) don't know about the Star pattern when changing a tire. Gosh I learned that so long ago it's like breathing to me lol. I torqued my own TB down and havent had a problem with the gasket breaking or anything. Reading the DIY and having people like yall post your own expierences is worth it's weight in gold.

I can almost compete with some ASE certified techs my age just cause of my down-n-dirty Nova and what i've done to my truck. It's like free education here, lol.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Questions