2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Transfer case stuck in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transfer case stuck in 4WD

Hey. So, obviously I know I've got a Dakota but ya'll seem like some very nice people.
1996 Dakota 3.9L with NP231. Took apart the t/case because... well, I'm dumb (had big problems getting it off the old transmission). After putting it back together, but before installing it, tried shifting it throught the ranges, no dice (I took it apart again, but same thing). Figured I'd throw it in the truck and see if just some moving would help (I do have the front driveshaft removed, so it's not like its actually in 4WD).
The problem seems to be the mode fork/rail. I belive it is fully seated in its case bore, but when trying to move the shift sector, it doesn't want to move up/down to engage/disengage [in this case, disengage]the front drive. The shift sector does seem to rotate freely as long as the mode fork isn't resting upon it.
I'll be making a 700 mile trip this Sunday and would like to have it in "true" 2WD (besides, I'd like to have it actually fixed, ya know).

Any ideas, suggestions, anything? This truck has been bad to me lately, between my two and a half week transmission change (that I did, not 4 weeks at a shop ), the new coolant leak and this (plus the $1500 in new parts I have lying around because I ran out of time on vacation to fix everything), this truck is going to kill me.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Default RE: Transfer case stuck in 4WD

*bump*
Anything?
Does driving in 4WD with the front driveshaft removed, but going highway speeds (70-75ish) hurt too much?
Is it ok the disassemble and remove the chain and mode fork and reassemble the case?
As soon as I get back "home," I will look for another transfer case, but I have to leave on Sunday in my truck, and don't want to have the transfer case die on my trip.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

we are nice people but i've never taken a t-case apart so i'm no help.. forum member, zique, just rebuilt his, send him a pm/email.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:35 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to send you away from here but this ? would probably do a lot better on Pavementsucks.com

Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Ok. I'll register over there and see what they say.
I've been having one hell of a time with my truck. Trans took forever for me to install, now the t/case... and today I discovered the water pump is shot, and had to special order the wrench for it (AutoZones loaner tool was out, and no one had one). And I have to leave Sunday... ugh...

Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully your luck will turn around. Wish I knew what to tell you is wrong but I have no idea about the internals of a transfer case. The guys over on PS seem to mess with stuff more often though. Here seems to be a lot more street oriented site. Over there is more of a offroad site where they are more often replacing and rebuilding stuff like that. I hate to say it but as far as transmissions and transfer cases and even axles pretty much anything other than bolt on performance stuff and they have some of that PS seems to be the place to go if you want accurate info.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 PM
zique
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the link and I've been in Europe for the last few weeks...a little jet lagged right now, but I'll try to read through your stuff tomorrow and see if I can help you out. Shoot me a pm and any pics you have would be nice as well.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
zique
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, from what I've read, I really still can't help you much...reason being that I'm not able to really see what might be binding it up. If it really is as you mention a problem with the mode fork, the only thing I could think of is that the shaft has somehow become bent and not allowing the proper tolerances for the shift sector (I hope that makes sense).

It will not harm anything to do the short trip w/ front driveshaft removed, but you will lose a few mpg's. Take a look at this exploded diagram as well and make sure you are putting it bake together right. -->CLICKY

Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

link above not working. try this.
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...s3.html?master

Quick Reply: Transfer case stuck in 4WD