2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A few questions, 1 is really dumb

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:34 PM
rdream13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions, 1 is really dumb

Hey everyone. I just got a 97 Ram 1500 a few days ago, and I love it! I finally had enough with the damn compact cars.

I read threw some post and realized I have to check into my engines temp, (it runs about 180*)and it is hard to get to the thermostat, exactly how hard is it?

Now for the really dumb question. Today was the first time I put my arm rest up, and for the life of me I cant seem to get it back down!!! Is there a plastic clip or something I am missing? or what ??

Old 12-29-2004, 11:38 PM
moparmania
Veteran
Default RE: A few questions, 1 is really dumb

as for the arm resrt mine just goes up and down.lol. the themostat is easy to get at . follow the big *** hose from the top of you radiator to the engine block that is where you will find the themostat . i have a 97 5.2 as well

Old 12-29-2004, 11:44 PM
RcBandit28
Captain

ORIGINAL: rdream13

Hey everyone. I just got a 97 Ram 1500 a few days ago, and I love it! I finally had enough with the damn compact cars.

I read threw some post and realized I have to check into my engines temp, (it runs about 180*)and it is hard to get to the thermostat, exactly how hard is it?
Getting to the t-stat is not overly difficult if you have a basic knowledge of cars. On the Ram, to make it easier you need to remove the A/C compressor and Alternator, which means you also have to remove the belt. Then remove the bracket that holds all that in place. It is not difficult, most all the bolts are the same size. Yon don't have to disconnect the wires to the alternator, just move the alternator out of the way, same with the A/C Compressor, you don't have to suck the Freon out of the system, the lines will bend enough to let is sit on the pass. side inner fender.

Now for the really dumb question. Today was the first time I put my arm rest up, and for the life of me I cant seem to get it back down!!! Is there a plastic clip or something I am missing? or what ??
Not that dumb of a question, my 97 Ram's armrest does the same thing from time to time. I've found that being gentler w/it will get it back down easier. Also, make sure the vehicle isn't moving when you do this. But as far as any clips or anything, there isn't any that hold it upright.

Good luck w/the new Ram, I love my 97 thats why I still own it, i'll never get rid of it.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:55 PM
LoNeWuLf
Record Breaker

The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:36 AM
dodgeballz

Thermo is not a bad job at all...but the most valuable tool in a shop is a well stocked library...when you go to the parts store pick yourself up a CHILTON manual...$15-20 and it is indespensable!! I got one with the truck when I bought it and burried it under the seat untill I did my first major repair job...WOW!!

As far as the console goes, just jiggle it back and forth it'll come down eventually...I think they all do that after a while.

You're gunna love the truck!!
--Dylan

Old 01-08-2005, 01:46 AM
rambo97
Rookie

my 97 does the same thing with the console! LOL... I have found for some reason it does it more when it is cold outside... also, I tihnk it does it when you put the brakes on... do if you are tryin to put it down while you have ur foot on the brake... that could be it...

Old 01-10-2005, 10:12 AM
banwhalen
Rookie

Not dumb.

I have a 98 Ram w/manual seats and the drivers seat is stuck. I cannot adjust the seat back. I am the only driver and apparently the damned metal/release has fused together over the years. The plastic realease handle stripped when I tried to adjust the seat.

Moral of the story: move the seats around once in a while.

No one else in the entire frickin world of Dodge ownership has this problem. That's the kind of problems I have had with my Ram. I guess the Mexicans who built the pos did it on purpose to get back at americans.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:44 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Leave the t-stat alone unless you think it's not working right. 180* is what is preferred.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:23 PM
purdueranger
Veteran

Take the alternator and A/C compressor off is not needed. I took my t-stat off of my 318 with just an extenstion and a universal. It took me maybe 10 mins from tear down to installing a new t-stat.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

you must not have the "Front" tab on your t-stat housing, it's a bitch to get off with that tab there. grind it off when you have it out.

Quick Reply: A few questions, 1 is really dumb