2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SUM B#@CH !!!!! Need to remove distributer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Tarner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUM B#@CH !!!!! Need to remove distributer

Well I was working on the truck today giving her a tune up . Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air cleaner and oil change. Everything was going good. Changed all the plugs without a single cuss word. pulled the cap and wires swapped the old rotor with the new and put the new wires on the new cap. Put the new cap on and pulled the wires to each side of the engine and. Then I ruined my whole day. [:@] When I was tightening the little screws that hold the cap in place one broke. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!! The screw went in about 3/4 of he way then got tight. I thought it tightened down to the cap. Till I tightened the other side and the cap was still loose. WTF so I went ahead and tightened it some more and felt that it way too hard to turn without touching the cap yet. So I went to take the screw out to see what the hell was going on with it and snap, the damn thing broke. Now I thought great the truck is down and I don't have the time to pull the distributer. What in the hell are we going to do. My wife needs the truck for work and I drive our other car 100 miles one way to work. We need both our car and truck. So now it looks like I need to pull the distributer and drill out the broke screw and that is going to have to wait till the weekend. In the mean time I put the cap back on with one screw and rigged the other side with some RTV . LOL!!!! I know it's wacky but it should work till the weekend. I don't like doing things like this but.... I had no choice but to try and see.

So.... who here has pulled their distributer? Do have to take the intake off? I think that would make it a lot easier to get to since I couldn't see or feel the clamp that holds it in place behind the intake. What do I need to look for or be ready for before I dig into this?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
mikecjn
Professional
Default RE: SUM B#@CH !!!!! Need to remove distributer

Worst god damn place for it to be too. I am in just about the same boat as you except I can't get the damn cap off. The drivers side screw is rounded and rusted and you can't get the phillips head screwdriver in to the sllots because of the rust. I cant hardly see the passenger side BUT I was able to get the screwdriver to grab but it isn't budging either. I was thinking of pulling the whole distributer off just to be able to get at the screws... never fukin ends
Just finally got the snapped off spark plug out of my #4 cylinder today.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 PM
engineblock
Veteran

you dont have to remove the intake, the little clamp is on the passenger side looking at the engine its a 1/2 inch wrench and when u remove the clamp get a big bar or a big wrench and place it under the distributor from the pass side and just yank it up and it should come off. Make sure you mark where the #1 Spark plug goes or you will put it wrong.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to pull the intake to remove the distributor but it is a b*tch to get at.
Distributor wrenches make it easier
http://www.nationalwholesaletools.co...rench-Set.HTML
Maybe borrow from local parts store?

Stubby wrenches are a bonus too if you have
Be careful while your back there it's easy to crack the oil sending unit.

As for the stuck screw on the other truck. If you have a pick get as much of the rusty crud out as possible. With the screwdriver in the screw whack the end of the screw driver with a hammer a few times. Sometimes you can shock it loose. Plus it helps the screwdriver bite on the screw.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Scottr1110
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just zip tie it on there if the bolt is still somewhat in there it wont slide around tighten the bolt and and tighten a zip tie

Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
my1500.net
Rookie

And remember that when you get it back in you will need to either go to the dealer or a garage who has a Snap On scanner so youcan set the fuel sync & make sure it is at 0!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Tarner

Well I was working on the truck today giving her a tune up . Plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air cleaner and oil change. Everything was going good. Changed all the plugs without a single cuss word. pulled the cap and wires swapped the old rotor with the new and put the new wires on the new cap. Put the new cap on and pulled the wires to each side of the engine and. Then I ruined my whole day. [:@] When I was tightening the little screws that hold the cap in place one broke. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!! The screw went in about 3/4 of he way then got tight. I thought it tightened down to the cap. Till I tightened the other side and the cap was still loose. WTF so I went ahead and tightened it some more and felt that it way too hard to turn without touching the cap yet. So I went to take the screw out to see what the hell was going on with it and snap, the damn thing broke. Now I thought great the truck is down and I don't have the time to pull the distributer. What in the hell are we going to do. My wife needs the truck for work and I drive our other car 100 miles one way to work. We need both our car and truck. So now it looks like I need to pull the distributer and drill out the broke screw and that is going to have to wait till the weekend. In the mean time I put the cap back on with one screw and rigged the other side with some RTV . LOL!!!! I know it's wacky but it should work till the weekend. I don't like doing things like this but.... I had no choice but to try and see.

So.... who here has pulled their distributer? Do have to take the intake off? I think that would make it a lot easier to get to since I couldn't see or feel the clamp that holds it in place behind the intake. What do I need to look for or be ready for before I dig into this?
Pull the wires and cap and rotor. The hold down is a half inch bolt. its on the left side (pass). Remove that and see if you cant pull it up and out by cocking it.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Gene563
Rookie

I noticed on my Summit cap that the screws were Phillipsand Hex headed. I didn't think my stock cap was the same, but when I got it off, they were.
So for "mikecjn", maybe a nutdriver could be your solution.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Tarner
Professional

Cool thanks guys!!! I read the manual about pulling the distributer and it doesn't sound like that big of a deal. I also have a buddy that was a dodge mechanic and should have the scan tool I need to set the fuel sync. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Tarner

Cool thanks guys!!! I read the manual about pulling the distributer and it doesn't sound like that big of a deal. I also have a buddy that was a dodge mechanic and should have the scan tool I need to set the fuel sync. I'll let you know how it goes.
shouldnt have any issues setting sync at stock. Theres a notch you can feel as you turn the distributor. Once your in the notch your set for stock.

Quick Reply: SUM B#@CH !!!!! Need to remove distributer