2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing cover gasket

its leaking enough now to **** me off enough to fix it.

how much further do i need to go once i get the water pump off??

since i am going to be back there im replacing:
water pump
timing cover gasket
water pump gasket
by-pass hose
upper hose
lower hose
thermostat

anything im missing??
and as far as gaskets, mopar the way to go? (if so what site? cause there are a bunch and i want your opinions)

Thanks alot.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: timing cover gasket

Buy the quality Fel-Pro set from your local parts store. Fel-Pro is an excellent product and I have never had an issue with it.

Once you have the water pump off, you will need to pull the crankshaft damper and loosen the oil pan to get the timing cover off. Might as well take the few moments and pull the oil pan and check the oil pickup screen and verify that it's not clogged. The gasket set will probably have a new oil pan gasket, but if not look the old rubber gasket over and if it is not damaged re-use it.

When you pull your timing cover you will need to replace both the timing cover gasket and the front seal. Be careful when driving the new front seal in that you do not bend the timing cover. This is also a good time to check for excess wear in your timing chain. If too much, and if you can afford it, replace the chain and both gears with a good double roller set. You may want some extra help/research from the site about completing that if you need to.

You should not have any issues with a timing cover gasket fix if you have even a rudimentary mechanical knowledge. Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional

well ive heard fel-pro and ive heard OEM mopar gaskets.

i know the fel-pro comes with the new front seal and they reccomend their new oil pan gasket to go with it.

as far as engine parts are concerned its OEM all the way for me, the stock water pump had lasted this long (never been replaced to my knowledge) so a new OEM unit will be going on.

and as far as i know the timing chain/sprockets have not been replaced either, so i think im just going to buy a new OEM set as well, its all tore open and i dont really like doing things twice..

know any good sites to get good mopar parts? there are some out there but some look really janky and dont really give a good desc. on parts (as to what model/year/engine/etc.)

Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a felpro kit that seemed to be pretty good quality. Got it from Rock Auto and it worked well. The timing cover gasket set had a waterpump gasket, the o ring for the heater tube, timing cover gasket and new front seal plus a ring to intall it. If your're going that far into it, replace the timing chain for another $50 or so cause I can guarantee you it's loose. I went with the Cloyes HD double roller chain and now my engine idles as smooth as it was when it was new. When you install the chain, make the dots in the old gears line up, not the flat lines. Then put the new set on with the marks lined up with the correct keyway and check that the teeth in the keys line up correctly. There should be one tooth in the small gear pointing directly up to a point between 2 teeth in the large wheel, when you have the marks lined up exactly right. You can rotate the engine a full turn of the large gear to see if they line up correctly again to double check.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

If you're going OEM, contact Monicatti Jeep. Best prices that I have found anywhere and real good to work with.

http://www.monicattichrysler.com/com...?idCategory=73

Replace the camshaft plate with the newer style timing chain tensioner. It's worth the $27.20.

Monicatti prices:
Timing Chain Tensioner $27.20
Double ROller Timing Chain and Gears: $53.55
5.9 engine teardown gasket set $101.15

I couldn't locate the water pump on their site, but they can probably get you that too.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM
heybuddy1901
Professional

actually just priced it all out on moparpartswarehouse

less then $300 for everything oem

ill prob get the fel-pro gasket set, seems hassle free
road trip to reno to visit my friends at summit

Quick Reply: timing cover gasket