2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I painted my shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I painted my shocks.

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

Nice lookin truck and good job on the shocks. Be carefull with the paint bug, its as bad as the performance mod bug!!
I'm starting to think that. This is one of the better mods imo as it looks great to me. I wish I had done it a long time ago. I really would like to get the whole truck painted a different color but I don't have the skill to do it and I don't have the money to have it done professionally.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: BIGRED97
How do you like the proflow intake? i got the round intake, and i dunno if i noticed anything really.
It's okay I guess. Like you I don't think I noticed much power wise. It seems like it might have helped in the upper RPM range a little. It makes a lot more noise I know that. I think it looks better but I wish it sounded more like the stock one. I also don't like it says to clean the filter every 2k miles or so. Thats way too often and a hassle. They don't even seem to be dirty that you can see at 2k miles but I guess it's a good idea. Overall it's an okay mod but I don't know if it's the route I'd go if I did it again. I also had a bracket made out of some seriously thick metal due to the cheap flimsy one they give you to bend to work kept bending back up and letting the air hat come off the tb a little. I had it bent like I needed and took it to a machine shop here and they made me a super heavy duty one for $30 or so that I don't think I could bend if I wanted to without a machine or a lot of heat. It makes it a lot better but at the same time it costs more than the intake does.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd probably just leave them be, but keep an eye on them incase the bushing splits.
All the shocks I have ever used on my truck (except the stock shock) had a nut that was accessible through the shock tower just under the boot. You put a wrench on it there, and that holds the stem so you can tighten the stem nut up on top. Works a lot better then vise grips. I don't recall the torque on that stem nut, but I don't think it was more then about 30 ftlbs. I'll see if I can find it again.

What is the official name of that color? I have almost never seen a Ram in real life in that color. I see the bright blue pretty often, but almost never that color.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ok, I found it. The upper shock nut is 35 ft/lbs. The three nuts on the shock tower are 55 ft/lbs, and the lower shock nut is 100 ft/lbs.

Here is a picture I once took to show someone esle where the nut is that you can use to hold the stem while you tighten.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/BC599FFA83484AE48299C4FD309B1E8E.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the only picture I could find where you can see my upper shock bushings. These are tightened to spec. Compare to yours.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/5F355FF943324937A73DFB2760006DC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Thanks. Mine doesn't have a nut there that I've seen or I would have used that.It's just a round little lip for the boot to hold onto.

I saw that picture and yours don't look compressed at all. A shop installed these front shocks a year and a half ago as I did the rears and the fronts were so rusted I couldn't get them off and didn't really have the time to mess with them so I had a shop do it. Now that I have more time I can do stuff like this myself more. The boots are already compressed down some as I think they tightened them way more than yours. I may loosen it up slightly though.

BTW I'm not sure what color this truck is called. I like it because it's a nice dark blue but in the sun it really looks more like a light blue. I also really like it although I'd rather repaint my truck bright orange. I think that would look awesome.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I went a loosened them up and got them fairly loose and the bushing still didn't come up. I think they are just like that from being compressed like that over time. They also don't look as thick to me as yours though. I'm not positive on that though. Do you think they will be okay to just leave like that?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I'd just tighten them back up till snug and leave them be, but you might want to get some new bushings eventually. If the shock starts making any noise, you'll hear it and can just tighten them up some more. I'll look around the garage, I might have some bushings left over that I can just send to you to replace them with. Or, you could e-mail a company like Rancho or Skyjacker, and tell them you need just an upper bushing. I bet they would send you one for very cheap or no cost at all. Skyjacker sent me a new control arm bushing for free when I asked them for one.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Thanks I might have to give Skyjacker a call.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
mopar crazy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Ok, I found it. The upper shock nut is 35 ft/lbs. The three nuts on the shock tower are 55 ft/lbs, and the lower shock nut is 100 ft/lbs.

Here is a picture I once took to show someone esle where the nut is that you can use to hold the stem while you tighten.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/BC599FFA83484AE48299C4FD309B1E8E.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the only picture I could find where you can see my upper shock bushings. These are tightened to spec. Compare to yours.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/5F355FF943324937A73DFB2760006DC7.jpg[/IMG]
Hmm, lower shock shock nut. I dont remember if I ever tightned this when I installed my shocks 20,ooo miles ago. Maybe thats the front end noise I hear when I exit out of strip malls or shopping centers. I just remember using a small wrench to hold the top threaded bolt thing and used another wrench on the top nut. I'll have to check this out this wekeend.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Any ideas on what mod I should do next? I'm a little short on money after just dumping around $8000 into this truck but am still always looking for the next mod.

Quick Reply: I painted my shocks.