2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v 10 push rods poped out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:53 PM
waymad77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v 10 push rods poped out?

I picked up a nice 98 at a auction fo 3600 said and done. Driving it home I noticed the valve train was pretty noisy popped the driver side cover of and Holly Cow two push rods were off their rockers. Went to see if they would sit in their lifters.... it didnt work. Has any one heard of this happening in any motor and dose any one think they will stay if I put it back together???

Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: v 10 push rods poped out?

Better check and see if those valves will open and close first. Bent valve stems are a possible reason for somebody to disconnect those two pushrods. Fully collapsed lifters are another reason. I would be very concerned about bent valves.

The pushrods just sit in the tops of the lifters, but do have to slide through a guide before getting to the lifter. You mention that the pushrods won't sit in the lifters. What exactly are they doing and why won't they sit in them?

Since you bought it at auction, I can only assume that you cannot return it. If it were me, I would see if the valves were frozen and if not, I'd pull the intake manifold and physically look at the lifters and complete valvetrain. Whoever sold the truck knew what the problem was and decided to unload it onto an unsuspecting person.

Lifters, pushrods, and factory rocker arms are available for purchase so if the valves are not frozen, you may need to replace all 3. Send me a PM if you'd like some more info as I don't always get the chance to recheck posts I've gotten involved in.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM
waymad77
Default RE: v 10 push rods poped out?

Yeah I kinda think the lifters collapsed and were ejected out of their holes. Theres a hint of runing low on oil or it getting hot and some ones been in side the motor a few bolts have been replaced from the rockers with different bolts. Im not sure what to think Im going to hit the local dodge dealers mech up too to see if any one has heard of this Ill keep posting until its resolved.

Quick Reply: v 10 push rods poped out?