2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

STUFF HAPPENS, WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
citygasdude
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STUFF HAPPENS, WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

I was reading the post about the real bad day but had to laugh, and it got me to thinking what are some of the things that have happened in your Ram that made made you say holy crap!! or no way that just happened,(From Tommy Boy) I have been very lucky so far and none of my tires have come off and passed me on the road (OMG) I would probably have a stroke if that happened. Sorry this isn't a technical post but Im sure there are some pucker factor stories out there!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: STUFF HAPPENS, WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

Fire?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 AM
nolazach
Veteran

ORIGINAL: citygasdude
so far and none of my tires have come off and passed me on the road (OMG) I would probably have a stroke if that happened.
Yeah I had that happen. Drove for a long time with no driver side drum. Seeing that is the drive wheel, this caused serious problems. I will post some pics later. Basiclly tire flew off, passed me on I-10, rear drum broke and grinded on ground. Learned I had to tear rear end apart to fully replace drum assembly. So I let it ride for over a year, just capped off the brake line and acted like it never happened. BS picked up some slack, but it pulled alot. Definetly a PITA.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 AM
citygasdude
Rookie

I haven't had any parts come off like that. When I bought my Ram off of E-bay and was driving it back from Chicago to Colorado, I got a late start back due to a flight delay. I was driving about one in the morning and very tired. I noticed a truck coming up behind me about 300 feet back, next thing I know my head does that jerk back upright from dozing off and the truck is about 300 past me!!!! Thats when I pulled it off to the side of the road to catch some zzzzz's. It was hard to doze off after that shot of adrenaline but I did finally get some rest.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
PartsChaser
Professional

I have a couple.

My 1997 4X4 had about 170k on it when the first event occurred. I was driving down the Interstate when I started to hear a clunking from the front end. Stopped, got out, nothing crazy out of the norm. Lugnuts were tight, etc. Well, as I was making the return trip, the clunking got progressively worse, and eventually the front end took a nosedive, and I was passed by my Driver's Side front Tire! After carving a nice trail out of I-70 as it ground to a halt, I had to go about 1/4 mile down the road to get my tire back. Luckily I didnt hit anyone... eeesh.

The backstory is that it appeared to have sheered all the studs off, might have been a stress injury from running with out of balance tires, who knows. She's old, and thats when it started getting interesting.. Many odd things and subsequent repairs since then, but at 188k she's still going!!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:07 PM
divetruck
Professional

So here I am heading off with a buddy for a 4 day weekend. Goto down shift as were heading up the mountain. Step on the clutch and and poof no pressure.

Glided to the exit popped the hood and smell brake fluid burning on the header. Look down along the line and there is hole in the line right by the header.

Started it up in first gear and power shifted back home. The master cylinder, fluid resevoir, and slave cylinder are all one unit dealer owner.

This all had been replaced before I bought the truck. Who ever replaced took the path of least resistance. Ran it down between the brake lines and the header. It should have gone between the brake lines and the frame. Where there is a heat sheild that the line runs behind to protect it from the exhaust.

That stupid line is made of plastic by the way. Heck of a way for dodge to make money!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: PartsChaser

I bet your girl in the pickup there wasn't too happy.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

So I have none on my dodge...but on another 4x4 I had I was high center in a snow covered area where I hunt and was 40-60 miles from anything. Had my girlfriend with me at that time...rock rock rock and finally got out..noticed a HUGE pile of trans fluid left. I just prayed all the way back where I found my tranny needed fixing.

Another thing on my car is I noticed a loud clunking noise and at about 80 mph my front right tire blew! Hard to control that fast on a front blown out tire on I-5 with traffic...well I made it or I wouldn't be typing this now!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

No parts flying yet. Theft has been my biggest problem. Alarm comin this saturday!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
PartsChaser
Professional

ORIGINAL: jason.w

ORIGINAL: PartsChaser

I bet your girl in the pickup there wasn't too happy.
LOL! HAHA. Yeah, thats her in the passenger seat, calling a Wrecker to come tow the broken beast home...

Quick Reply: STUFF HAPPENS, WHAT'S YOUR STORY?