2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New RPMs, and overdrive questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New RPMs, and overdrive questions

I'm confused. What do you mean he should of gotten a shift kit that allows it for the manual type shifting? You can put the gear selector in whatever gear you want it to be. Or are you thinking he wants a manual valve body that will only shift if he moves the shifter? I'm confused there? I don't think he knows what he got or knew what he was getting. I think thats half the problem there. They put in what they would want not what he wanted and he didn't tell them any different.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That my friend, pretty much hits it on the head. When I went to them in the first place, they asked me what direction I wanted to go with the truck? I told them I planned to keep the 35" tires and that I also planned to keep adding horsepower. I said listen guys, I want a transmission that's going to be able to handle these oversized tires, and I want something that can be performance tuned. I told him I like to street race occasionally, but I only would do it if the transmission could handle it. So he said to me, ok Joe, we will build you a heavy duty transmission designed for performance. We'll add a large transmission cooler and a deep dish tranny pan as well for heavy towing, and racing.

As far as a stall converter, I think it's around 1500rpms. I mean when I'm at a stop and slowly begin to accelerate,the truck feels like it has something pulling on it, and then once I hit 1400-1500 rpms, the truck will suddenly get a nice boost and free up, would that describe a 1500 stall converter?

So, that sounded exactly what I wanted. A transmission that wasn't going to fail on me. A transmission that had the strength to tow, lug around the 35" tires, and to handle hard acceleration to boot. And this is exactly what this transmission does. At wide open throttle, it grips in like a bat out of hell, and it just keeps going, and going, and going. I'm so impressed with it's performance. Before with the old transmission if you floored it while you were already moving, it would rev all the way to 5,000 rpms and then bite in, didn't sound healthy at all. Now when I do that, you can just feel the torque converter lock in and the truck just roars, it's an amazing feeling. BUT, daily driving is a chore. Trying to sustain speeds in overdrive is just annoying, and a real knee buster lol. My foot has to be glued to the pedal to keep her moving, every bump in the road makes the truck do mini throttles, people think I'm doing it on purpose lol. So as hometheaterman said, this transmission could be perfect, but it's just something I wasn't expecting. Aamco even told me it was great (much to their demise). He told me the transmission was too strong for the engine? Ever heard of that? I mean, I guess it could explain why the truck feels helpless in overdrive at first. Once it gets going in overdrive it's fine, but those beginning moments, the truck doesn't really want to move much lol. As I said, it could be normal, but it's really tough to get used to. It sucks always trying to turn od off and on depending on what driving contour your in. I'll take OD off, but then I get annoyed because the RPMs start getting too high for my likings. I guess it this point, I should put into OD since it has enough momentum. When I bring it back to New England Transmission, I'll just run it by them about the lack of throttle response in overdrive. It just seems weird that the truck is already done giving power at 45mph? Maybe like 85mph, but 45mph? I still have to be traveling at speeds generally around 60 around town, so I want power higher than speeds than 45mph.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:33 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I forget the stock stall, but to check stall, you put in drive. Hold the break down and push gas down. Hold brake down all the way and when you push the gas down, you should find that the rpm's stop at a certain point. 3 grand ish?? I honestly forget, but that is how you can check your stall speed.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I'm confused. What do you mean he should of gotten a shift kit that allows it for the manual type shifting? You can put the gear selector in whatever gear you want it to be. Or are you thinking he wants a manual valve body that will only shift if he moves the shifter? I'm confused there? I don't think he knows what he got or knew what he was getting. I think thats half the problem there. They put in what they would want not what he wanted and he didn't tell them any different.
There are shift kits design so you gotta shift it using the lever , another words you cant put it in drive and go.. I have no idea what neon wants or after , Hate to say it but all trucks are dogs in OD at 45 mph. either leave it off till you hit highway speed or deal with it..

Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

There are shift kits design so you gotta shift it using the lever , another words you cant put it in drive and go.. I have no idea what neon wants or after , Hate to say it but all trucks are dogs in OD at 45 mph. either leave it off till you hit highway speed or deal with it..
Hmm, as long as its normal, then I'm fine with it. It's just new to me, I never had to deal with this with the other transmission. It doesn't do this in my brothers truck, or my dad's truck, just my truck now. And I can't blame it on the 35s because as I said, I never dealt with this with the old stock transmission, weird.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

keep playing with the trans cable till you get it where you want it , I gotta do this to my trans after its rebuilt so it will shift where i want it , another words it will hold the shift just a tad longer (keeps the pressure in the trans)..

Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Alright sounds good, thanks PA.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

mark where it is now with with a perm marker and move it just a hair till you get it where you want it ,

Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

just remember... the cable only affects 1 to 2nd shift.. and 2nd to 3rd shift...and "kick down".. ( because adjusting the cable is also adjusting the pressure.) everything else is controlled by the PCM I think.

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...Adjustment.pdfA link to an explanation.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the TV cable effects line pressure is should affect all shifting to a degree.

In my own truck 3rd gear used to hang a bit to long during city driving. Loosening up the TV cable 1/4" did the trick for me. Of course TV adjustment isn't the only parameter affecting shift. (TPS, trans output speed and PCM calibration also effect it) but it's the only one easily adjusted.

Quick Reply: New RPMs, and overdrive questions