2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which transmission. Please HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 PM
jagxtype
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which transmission. Please HELP ASAP!

I know a guy that has a 96 dodge dakota extended cab for sale. The trans was just rebuilt in it and the motor went bad. Still waiting to hear if it was a V6 or V8. It is 2wd just as the truck its hopefully going into. Does this fit? If not, what other transmissions will fit a 96 dodge ram 1500 2wd 5.2L short bed reg cab?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which transmission. Please HELP ASAP!

If the dak is a v6 then no it wont fit. If its the v8 then it should fit. Chrysler made a few different case designs for the 518. The best way to know for sure is too look at both closely.

Make sure you know which transmission you have. Is it hydraulic or electronic?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
jagxtype
Professional

How do i know if its electronic or manual and how do i compare them by looking at them?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

96 = electronic governor.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: XXL 1500

96 = electronic governor.
95/96 were change over years. Its good to check and make sure. The electronic unit will have a black round plug. The hydraulic unit will have a oval type three prong plug usually white or yellow.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM
jagxtype
Professional

i think that the speed sensors also vary greatly on the RH and RE. I know they do in price for sure.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
jagxtype
Professional

If the trans in the other truck has the same connectors as the truck its going in does that mean it will work? Is there anyone that knows this kinda info????? anywhere i can find it?????

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Like i said before, if the other truck is a v6 NO it will not work.

The v6 trucks came with the A500 (40/42rh/re), the v8 trucks came with the a518 (46/47rh/re).

The 500 and 518 share the exact same overdrive unit, valvebody and electronics. (the OD's and valvebody's are calibrated differently for each unit, but are interchangable). The gear sets and pump are completely different. The main case is also different.

If the two transmissions are physically the same and the case plugs are the same then they should swap, the case may be casted a little different, so be sure to note that when comparing the two.

Also it is VERY important to keep the converter with the engine, DO NOT i repeat DO NOT swap converters around. Use the converter that came with the truck if possible.

I almost forgot something. This is going to make things even more difficult. Do not swap around the different gov. pressure sensors. The early and late ones will not work with the different computers. If your truck is a 96, find a transmission from a 96-early 00. The wrong GPS will mess with the overdrive solenoid function.

Its really tough to just swap stuff around nowadays, you need someone with a trained eye to look at both side by side to be sure.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
jagxtype
Professional

well then i will pass on this truck... Thanks for stepping up and giving me a lot of help with me being a newb. I appreciate it monteC

Quick Reply: Which transmission. Please HELP ASAP!