2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:31 PM
tomwom
|
Default Bad PCM?

Hello,

This is my first post. I have had my Idle Air Control in my 97 1500 replaced 2 times and I still have the same problem of stalling when I come to a stop. Now, my mechanic thinks it may be a bad PCM. My questions are, do you think it could be bad, and what's involved in replacing a PCM? If it is a bad PCM, I'm thinking about replacing it myself.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:47 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Default RE: Bad PCM?

Welcome to DF !!
Pop your hood and on the passenger side on the firewall is the PCM , i had the same problems as you with the IAC , turns out the pcm was bad... There easy to replace , just rember to disconect the battery pos and neg so there is no charge and handle the new pcm with care..your pcm mite have a black cover on it , that just pops off 3 screws and take the harness off( watch how the harness goes off and on) dont cross them...

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:02 PM
tomwom
|

Thanks for the reply.
Here's an update. Believe it or not, my mechanic got 2 bad IAC's in a row from his supplier. So, he went and got a Mopar part and now every thing's fine.

Old 04-08-2008 | 03:34 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional

good news...!! IAC.. 60 or 70 bucks.. new PCM???? [:@]

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:50 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

That is good news , i switch my iac 4 x with the P505 code , erase it and a min later was back on then we known it was the PCM

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:58 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

When you replace the IAC you are supposed to set the idle air counts. Supposedly, the only way to do this accurately is with a DRB# or a Snap-on scanner.
I did it manually and it seemed to work fine :

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...a%20Magnum.pdf

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i went thru 4 bad IAC's before getting a good one. 2 from Autozone, 2 GP's from Advance. Got a good one with SMP brand.

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:08 PM
tomwom
|

Another up-date. It would appear that I have another IAC bad. After 3 days of driving it started to die again. It's back at my mechanics shop and I'm waiting to hear what he has to say.

Are there any other ideas out there?

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:45 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

So basically if I ever replace the IAC I should just go straight to the dealer instead of the parts stores? I'm getting to the point now where I'm getting fed up with parts stores. Even though the dealer seems to be a lot more expensive it seems to be worth it on a lot of stuff.

Old 04-16-2008 | 07:55 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

So basically if I ever replace the IAC I should just go straight to the dealer instead of the parts stores? I'm getting to the point now where I'm getting fed up with parts stores. Even though the dealer seems to be a lot more expensive it seems to be worth it on a lot of stuff.
In a nutshell , YES !!