2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nitrous

is anyone running nitrous on there 318? I am about to get a kit, just going to run a 75 shotand after the msd 6al and timing adjuster probably step it up to a 100 or 125 shot, it is a wet kit so i am not worryed about fuel getting to it.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nitrous

Is your engine set up for that man, putting no2 in a stock engine is basically death.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to know how to use it and not use too much of it. I've never used it but there used to be a guy on PS that had nitrous on his Ram. I've thought about doing it a few times but never spent the money on a kit.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

yeah +1 on that, my step dad is running a 75 shot on his 05 sharpshooter ram, he put in a fatter tb, heads, headers and a nice intake but he still says his engine life is cut in half cuz of the no2

Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 AM
sbrunn9
Veteran

05 sharpshooter ram
wtf is that?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 AM
mstephen89
Captain

yea engine life will definately be cut down because of the increased heat in the cylinders. Personally I wouldn't ever run NO2 without upgrading to a forged bottom end. Or at least Forged Pistons and Rods. Thats just me, people claim that a 75 shot doesn't require any modding, but I doubt you get the full 75 hp with out other stuff. Seems like a waist of money to me

Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

If I am close to mid 13s this year, Ill be getting a nitrous kit just to break 12s. Theres a couple I have been looking at. Theres a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to nitrous, and most people believe the misinformation. Do a little bit of research on the subject and draw your own oppinions on it. I have 190,000 miles on my bottom end and Im not worried.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 AM
PartsChaser
Professional

With the Wet Kit you will save yourself a little hassle. Keep in mind (as others posted) that advertised HP on the kit (75, 125, etc) isnt usually a gaurantee. I've seen various dyno pulls before/after and the motor will only take so much, and you can expect "some" gains of course. You could put a 400 shot 2-stage kit on a stock RAM, and still only get 40 HP gain, just based on what it will actually take and make extra HP with.

The other thing to remember is that nitrous will create extra heat while its creating extra horsepower, so ensuring you have plenty of fuel delivery is a key element. If you run it lean once on a good nitrous pull (say a 1/4 mile) then you can really do damage...FAST. But, if you have a good setup going into it, you shouldnt be putting parts in the oilpan anytime soon.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sbrunn9

05 sharpshooter ram
wtf is that?
Sharpshooter was a one and only specail edition truck. nice outside looks and a vamped up engine ill try and find the pix of it on the net and show you..if all else fails ill just take pics of it when he gets home.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: PartsChaser

With the Wet Kit you will save yourself a little hassle. Keep in mind (as others posted) that advertised HP on the kit (75, 125, etc) isnt usually a gaurantee. I've seen various dyno pulls before/after and the motor will only take so much, and you can expect "some" gains of course. You could put a 400 shot 2-stage kit on a stock RAM, and still only get 40 HP gain, just based on what it will actually take and make extra HP with.

you are right...but that number is a LITTLE exagerated. lol.

The number is usuially relitively close. 75 shot is typically going to lay arround ~35-100 horse (thats more the outer extents of the bell curve). Thats why people call it a "safe" shot. The biggest increase youll get with nitrous is torque. Since horsepower is an algorithm, it means that your torque is raised to give you that hp. Since diffrent vehicles make power in various ranges and at various quantitys, thats why theres a disparity in hp numbers. If you have ahigh end torque motor and your using nitrous your horsepower is going to be at the higher end of the curve (ie 100 for a 75 shot) if you have alow end torque motor and your using the same ammount of nitrous your going to be twards the bottom (ie 35 for a 75 shot)

You really want to focus on the torque increase. Horsepower is such an arbitrary number anyways. Example.

You have a motor that makes 300 tq at 2000 rpm, that equates to 114 hp. (max tq x max tq rpm, divided by 5252) Change that to 300 tq at 5000rpm and you now have 285 horse with doing nothing but changing where the torque is made. So obviously its going to be exponentially more of a horsepower increase on a motor that makes its more power up top due to mathimatics. Say you run a 75 shot and gain 75 torque (theoreticly) and your max torque rpm remains constant. That turns 300 tq at 2000 to 375 tq at 2000rpm, netting 142 hp; a 28 horse increase. Change 300tq at 5000 rpm to 375tq at 5000 rpm nets 357 horse, giving you a 72 horse increase. The closer your torque is made at 5252 the more accurate the "shot" number will be if all other factors remain equal.

Feel free to correct any of my errors, I may have something mixed up in my head.

Quick Reply: nitrous