2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Blaydrnnnr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MPGs

Yeah.. I'm running the round Mopar Performance set up.. ( air cleaner and valve covers.. ) mostly because I still think the round style works best for my driving.. the k&n is better suited for driving that gets alot of air passing through.. highway or dragging.. if you paid alot.. send it back without opening.. I'll seel you mine cheap...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

ORIGINAL: pipeking

did i miss somthing??what is letting you get such good mpgs.what hace you done other than the tranny??i would love to know since i missed it!
'

I'm not sure to be honest, but I've just been taking it easy, and the mpgs have been going up and up. Today I hit 12.7, and this is all city driving, it's great. I can't tell if like my old transmission was dying and thats why the mpgs went down. Because since the new tranny, I'm getting the numbers I did when I first got the truck last summer. Whatever it is, I'm very pleased. I'm going to see if I can get it to hit 13, then I'll really be happy[8D]
'

As for the K&N kit, I got it off ebay so I can't exactly send it back. But I paid $85, so it was a good deal. I'm sorry to hear your stuck with a new kit though man!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going by the overhead computer or actually hand calculating it? It seems I've seen quite a few reports of the overhead computers being off on the gas milage.

For the guy with the K&N what are you looking to get for it?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

I'm glad you've got the truck running good man. You may want to check the mileage by hand if you aren't already. I know my overhead tells me I"m getting higher than I actually am, usually by about 2mpg (it says 14mpg but I calculate about 12mpg or a little higher when I drive nicely). I think you'll like the K&N. Mine seems to give a little more pep and makes a nice air sucking noise. Sounds like you got a good deal on it too. You'll like it...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah I always hand calculate mine.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah, I've been handchecking it, and using the overhead, and both are actually matching up.

Yeah man I am wicked excited to get that K&N in there. It's what I defiantly wanted. I just didn't really like the look of the airhat, just isn't my style. I like the look of a nice kit, and I know how loud the K&Ns can be, had one on my stupid neon, and that thing sounded like a mustang with it. I imagine a 360ci will sound quite a bit better[8D] Thanks for the props!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't the tranny shop just recal your speedometer for your 35"tires?
If so you were probably getting a bit more actual MPG before and didn't know it.

By your other threads I don't think your torque converter lockup was working before.
Getting that fixed during the rebuild is probably worth almost 2 MPG.
I can get 14 -15 MPG on the highway if I keep it under 65 MPH (approx 600 lbs cargo)
Glad yours is headed in the right direction [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM
pipeking
Veteran

what the hell,i am sapost to have a fully loaded bells and whistles.i have power win,locks,infinity stereo,powr mirrors,heated mirrors,slider window,key fob,stering wheel controls radio+cruser,BUT NO OVER HEAD INSTROMENTS,I DO HAVE A OH CONSOLE WITH GERAGE DOOR OPENER,GLASSES HOLDER,MAP LIGHTS,BUT NO INTROMENTS.

so you think yourmpgs are good from a new tranny?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: pipeking

what the hell,i am sapost to have a fully loaded bells and whistles.i have power win,locks,infinity stereo,powr mirrors,heated mirrors,slider window,key fob,stering wheel controls radio+cruser,BUT NO OVER HEAD INSTROMENTS,I DO HAVE A OH CONSOLE WITH GERAGE DOOR OPENER,GLASSES HOLDER,MAP LIGHTS,BUT NO INTROMENTS.

so you think yourmpgs are good from a new tranny?
Me too. I don't have that digital overhead console although I'd like to. The rest of my truck is pretty much like yours loaded. I'm missing that and leather heated power seats both of which I would like to have.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Hmm...I'm not sure to be honest. I guess I'm more curious as to why my MPGs dropped in the first place. The truck always drove at 12mpg. Then suddenly last fall, the overhead mpgs just kept going down and down. It even got to 8.6mpg at one point. Anyways, just recently within the past 2-3 weeks I've just been driving the truck. And the MPGs kept going up. I think they've plateaued though. I did all city driving today, and it flirted with 12.0-12.3 all day. On the highway is where it does great, and I can get 17-18. I'm just happy to be seeing the numbers that I got when I first bought the truck, I just wonder why they ever went down so much, and now they are coming back. As I said, this particular truck off the factory lot averages 13 city, and 17 highway, and those are pretty much the numbers I am getting right now WITH 35" tires. So truck is apparently running in stock forum, so I can't complain. I get the K&N kit tomorrow, I'll be able to see if that yields me anymore mpg. I know it will help in the power department, seeing any K&N product I've used it always gives a nice push. Maybe it was just the cold temps. of the winter that started the decline, but I remember literally over a week period it went from 12mpg, down to 10mpgs. Then throughout the winter, it just kept getting worse. And then....the transmission blew on a big highway trip.

Quick Reply: MPGs