2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tinted Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tinted Windshields

I don't know now either lol, it actually sounds like a pretty cool idea. I as well have a factory tint strip, but it doesn't do much at all for the interior. I was going to get a strip, but I didn't want to cause attention to myself with a 7" strip. But now that I think of it, a 50% tinted windshield would probably protect from sunlight better than any strip would, it would look universal so a cop wouldn't even notice it, hide your face a little bit, and look really clean. So I don't know, I may have the windshield tinted 50% instead of getting a big goofy look at me strip lol, sounds kind of neat. I'd just want to make sure before I did that it wouldn't be affected by a defroster. I know here in Maine, the winter calls for the defroster to be running every morning. But other than that, seems like a perfect solution to protect the dashboard, and to truly have a completely tinted capsule lol.[8D]

Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 AM
timbojb

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I used to be the ones giving the lectures to guys about how I didn't think it was a good idea but now I'm not so sure. It seems like it would keep the truck much cooler and protect the interior more and as long as you go with a light tint
That's what I call a flip flop... you should run for office.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 AM
tresvn
Veteran

I think that Infinity had a windshield that darkened when sunlight hit it, this was like 10 or more years ago. It worked like the transitions lenses for your glasses. I dint know if it is a film that they put on or if it was the window itself. I would go this route if possible. Safety wise it just makes sense, tint during the day none at nite. It may even darken if someone has the high beams on coming in your direction. just a thought. It would be Photo chromic glass or film

Old 04-27-2008, 03:29 AM
cdusthockey
Veteran

my roommate tinted his 08 Chevy this past summer, and went 20 on the sides and 35 on the windshield. from the outside, you can barely see in from the front on a sunny day, and not at all on an overcast day. I live up in northern MN and he had no problems with the tint when it was heating up on cold days. and on the fog that you were talking about, it actually seems like it fogs up less than if you didn't have tint

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Silver1500
Professional

I have a friend that has an 06 GMC and he has his windshield tinted 35% as well as a 7" strip. I personally dont think it made much of a difference visually at night, it looks kick *** from the outside tho. You cant see in the truck at all even in direct sunlight.
I have a 10" strip on my windshield and I love it. The strip makes it alot darker inside the truck and unless the sun is shining straight thru the windshield you cant really see in my truck either...

Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM
gettinugly

Hey, I feel your pain with the windshield situation. I tinted my entire 98 Ram with 5% limo tint including the windshield and the already smoked rear windows. It took some getting used to and I would not recommend going that dark it was a mistake on the part of my tint guy. 28% or higher is perfect on the windshield that is what I put on my wifes Volvo and we both like it a lot. As far as run ins with the law I had been pulled over in my old truck about 4 or 5 times. My wife has been stopped about 6 or 7 times. If you live in florida don't even think about driving through the keys with a tinted windshield. The Florida Highway Patrol is notorious for making you peel it off on the scene and not let you drive till it's gone. If you are going to do it go with a smoke gray color it is a lot less noticeable than reflective tint. I haven't tinted the windshield on my 03 ram yet cause the dash needs to be replaced and I don't want the tint scratched.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:45 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is several months old.

Wow 5% on the windshield. That just sounds kind of dangerous. Okay not kind of really.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Trey318
Captain

Wow, I read this and didn't even realize that it was 5-6 months old lol.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Jhdearing

I have installed 55% on all my vehicles for years and have never had a problem, although it is not legal. The thing to keep in mind is this, if you go to dark, it looks obviously tinted. Lighter films aren't as noticeable, and you get the UV rejection benefit that destroys interior parts, especially the dashboard. Even light films give you some heat rejection as well, although not as much as darker films. I also would stay with something that is neutral in color and non-reflective.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM
codyselcamino
Professional

i went to school with a kid that had 5% on all his windows and 50% on the windsheild, you could see actually see out pretty good. the only problem is when it frosts over it took about twice as long to un freeze, on the plus side though you dont get any glare from other cars headlights at night

Quick Reply: Tinted Windshields