2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tinted Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just drive around with sunglasses on day & night, save some bother.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

dont do any darker than 30% even that low cops my still give you hell

Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

its a bad idea for a lot of reasons..I have seen the smoking system of tinting them I've seen before but not the film...

On the other hand they sell windshields with a uv coating in them to keep out the heat and harmful rays.....I've had them in my last couple e250 vans from the factory.(i believe its now standard on many vehicles)...both windshield and side windows....I cant even get any tan at all driving all day unless I roll down the window.....you can feel the temp difference on half your arm behind the window reflection and the half thats not...
I'm sure they may sell aftermarket windshields or a coating of some kind to do it...

Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by silverbullet-dodgeram
dont do any darker than 30% even that low cops my still give you hell
any more than 15 and they will notice right away....plus if you have the sides done it will amplify it a lot.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

its prolly diff in diff states but here in east texas its seems like we can get by with 30% ok

Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

ahh I had it wrong...the lower the number the darker...it percentage of light transmission.... in ny state anything darker than 70% light transmission in the front seat is illegal though they are usually more lenient about it.depending on what kind of vehicle and image you portray....stay under the radar and obey all traffic laws and dont stand out and they seem to leave you alone....young kid with loud truck ....uh.. ticket time... windshield is of course illegal to tint except a percentage along the top....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-15-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM
noneed117

Dang, I have limo all the way around on my truck and my windsheild at like 50% and I've never been hassled. I've been pulled over before and they didn't say anything. World off difference on keeping the cab cool.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Dodgeski

Originally Posted by jperkins812
Window tinting is illegal in all states, and dangerous at night.

Window tinting is NOT illegal in all 50 states. Window tint is illegal if it is below the statutory limit. The limit is deturmined by percentage, in some states the limit is as low as 20%. It is illegal to have your front window tinted COMPLETELY in all 50 states. Some states however allow for several inches (up to 6 inches) from the top of your vehicle. typically warmer states will allow a greater amount of tint and lower visibility percentage. There is several websites including this one, http://www.tintlaws.com/ that will tell you the law in your state. I personally have gotten a tint ticket. they will do one of three things, One, give you a ticket on the spot which in my state was about $130. Two, they will ask that you remove it before leaving the scene. Three they will give you a fix-it-ticket. I have had 5% all around (except the windshield) on my truck for 3 years now and I have recived one ticket. If this is a risk you are willing to take and are prepared to take a ticket, then I would say do it. Non-reflective film is a lot better because you are less likely to get pulled over for it. States also provide a "reflectiveness" criteria for ticketing window tint offenders. This to varies from state to state. The problem with reflective window tint is when the sun hits the tint the tint acts as a mirror. This could effect other drivers on the road. I would go with 20%-35% tint, non-reflective.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Dodgeski

I take that back, Michigan has not set a tint limit at all thus far.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:23 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

Ohios limit is no darker than 70% on the windshield, 50 on the front sides, and no limit for the rest, i plan on taking mine to the limit, my sides are already 65, the rear is gonna get a limo and hte front 70-80 just to get the glare down, truck being so low i get all sorts of headlights from other cars.

as i tell people when it comes to mods, KNOW the LAW, it goes a long way if you do get pulled over,
(im more likely to get something for the truck being stupid low and a little loud than how dark my winders are )

Last edited by batman13; 12-17-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Tinted Windshields