2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tinted Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tinted Windshields

Anyone else have this done? I've always really liked tinted windows for both privacy and the fact that it seems to help keep the heat out. I've however never had other than a strip to the AS1 line nor been a fan of a tinted windshield due to the fact I thought it would be bad safety wise. I'm starting to get to the point though where I really want something to help keep the sun out. I'm wondering if that isn't half the reason these trucks have soo many problems with cracked dash boards. It's like it's fairly cool in the rest of my truck but the front seats is like a sauna from the sun shining in the windshield.

I don't want anything too drastic I was thinking of maybe like a 20% on the windshield or so. Anyone done this? How do you like it? Any pictures? Have you had any trouble with the police? Is it hard to see out of at night? Basically just looking to see if anyone has done this and how they like it? Does it keep the vehicle a lot cooler? The local tint shop said they would do it for me when I asked about it when I got the rest of my windows tinted. I probably will end up not doing it but am sort of thinking about it right now and just wondering if anyone has done it.

Right now I have 5% tint over the factory tint on the rear side windows and the rear slider and I have 35% on the front windows that has been on there since I got the truck. They seem to help a fair amount in keeping the heat down. The windshield has factory tint down the AS1 line but nothing past that.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tinted Windshields

Its a great idea, my friend had it done on his silverado, he never had any problems as far as the police stoping him. It did keep the truck alot cooler during the day. I think he said the tint shop told him to get a polarized tint but i dont remember. The worst thing about it is seeing at night. I never saw it with his stock headlights but he had hid's and seeing at night was no problem at all.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:32 PM
timbojb

that sounds like a good idea if your ac seems a little weak, before i tinted the windows in my truck it couldn't keep it cool in the summer... but it's texas so... If you decide to do it let us know how the night visibility goes.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:55 PM
davmelrach
Rookie

It is illegal to tint your windshield in all 50 states. You may not get stopped initially but eventually you will. In most states it is a pretty hefty fine not to mention the fact if you ever get in an accident it will become an issue wether or not it was a contributing factor.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

I had a friend that got pulled over for speeding and he had a banner on his truck that was below the A line and he gave him 10 days to take it off

Old 04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
jperkins812
Professional

Window tinting is illegal in all states, and dangerous at night.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jperkins812

Window tinting is illegal in all states, and dangerous at night.
Not true. Window tinting is illegal in some states, and most states have laws sayign how dark you can tint your windows.

as for tinting the windshield, I wouldn't. And 20% is extreemly dark. I think what you mean is something like 75%, or 80%. But I wouldn't. I would however put a nice drk 6" strip or so from the top. that helsp a lot, and it helps keep the hot noon time sun out.

I still have yet to tint my windows. I'm looking forward to it though.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
jperkins812
Professional

The side windows are up for debate and different for each state, but the windshield is another story. Most states will not say anything about a strip of window tint across the top, not the entire windshield. Not only is it a safety issue for the police officers when they pull you over, but even with 35% tint you will have a harder time seeing at night.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I don't know about this one.. To me, having dark tint on windows is already kind of pushing it safety wise, but the windshield I think is a bit much. Especially on those half rainy days where your windshield just really gets foggy from the condensation, I'd feel really silly trying to see when it would already be tough without tint. I also wasn't sure how tint would hold up in the winter time when you always have to have your defroster running, seems like it may become prone to quick fading or deteriation. Just seems like somewhat of a sketchy idea. Could be dangerous in blizzard or heavy rain conditions, or at night alone. Maybe like a 50% tint, but I wouldn't overdo it. A cop probably wouldn't even notice it was tinted eithe. You probably would have a better chance getting away tinting the entire windshield with a 50% film as opposed to getting a dark strip that's limo tinted, cops hate the oversized strips. But still, I'd just go with a strip personally. Also, if the heat really bugs you, I think you should have your front windows tinted, that will stop a lot of the sun light your talking about. My truck is very dark upfront now, just a little bit of the dashboard is exposed to light, but I plan to get a strip later downt he road depending how long I go without being pulled over for the limo tinted windows.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've got the strip at the top although it's factory. You can't see in the strip at all and it does help some especially with the sun but it seems like the rest of the windshield lets a ton of heat in. I have my front windows tinted already just not as dark as you but they are still fairly dark. It's still pretty dark inside the cab now and keeps most of the sun out from the sides it just doesn't do anything about when it's shining in the windshield. I've about decided I'm going to leave it alone but I talked to a guy on PS who's buddy has 50% on his windshield and I really liked the pictures. I think I may just leave it alone.As for tinting it with 20% it might be a little hard to see out of but with 35% or 50% I don't see it being too much of a safety issue as you can still see out of both of those fine even at night. Atleast I've never had a problem although I've never had 50% just 35% and darker. Even so with 35% I have no problem seeing out of it at night.

I used to be the ones giving the lectures to guys about how I didn't think it was a good idea but now I'm not so sure. It seems like it would keep the truck much cooler and protect the interior more and as long as you go with a light tint I don't see it being too much of a problem seeing out. I'm thinking I still am going to leave it alone though as I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting pulled over.

Quick Reply: Tinted Windshields