2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Run your Ram on water?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
RangerMateo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Run your Ram on water?

You have got to be kidding me, right? Hydrogen fuel cells *are* viable and will most likely be the future if not electric. As stated before the bombs dropped on Japan were fission bombs, but even hydrogen bombs do not BURN the hydrogen, they FUSE it...which only happens at about 15 million degrees celsius and assuming you have pure tritium in your fuel tank not your normal everyday hydrogen which accounts for over 99.9% of the H2 out there. On top of that, if you had a tank of pure tritium if you had the fission reaction to set it off it would have to happen in a fairly short time frame as T2 decays with a half life of about 12 years...it decays into helium which is actually a neutron dampener and would prevent the reaction from happening in itself. It's *not* happening accidentely.

To the guy using the zeppelin example. The reason they use helium is because it is inert and doesn't burn. Not because it's more efficient. The hydrogen is actually more efficient even in that respect because it is more boyant in air. It just happens to burn...which is exactly what we want it to do...and what they didn't want it to do...

Yes, it's explosive by nature, but it's not going to go nuclear in a car accident. You ever seen pictures of what the firebombing raids did? That was all gasoline based...and not many think twice about driving around with that in their tank.

Maybe the "hydrogen generators" are useless (I don't really know), but don't go off on an uneducated tangent.

Oh yes...I do agree that E-85 is a crock...just two cents on that =)

ORIGINAL: jram99

Hydrogen is extremely explosive. Remember Fat Man & Little Boy, the bombs dropped on Japan, they were hydrogen bombs. Not sure I would want a compressed tank of hydrogen attached to my truck if in an accidentor to the truck of someone that may decide they like Alah better than the United States!. Just my opinion though. Jeff.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

ORIGINAL: timsalas

Scam.. making HH20 as they call it is easy, u can do it with some graphite, a solar pannel or battery and means to store the gas compressed. but it'll take about 3 days for you to have enuff og the HH20 (hydrogen oxygen mixture) so that you can drive a coupe of miles. I think the site is a scam, just judging by it's looks alone..

Real alternatives? Popular mechanics had an article this month on a company that will be producing ethenol from trash (carbon based trash, including old tires). also, did you know the US has more coal than the middle east has oil? and did you know u can convert coal into gasoline? Canadians are already doing somethig similar to this, but their using tar sand. America needs to get off it's bought out butts(govt.) and start using the resources we have here.. The only reason were not using coal right now, with the price of oil how it is, is because of lobbyiests (sp) and them having bought out most of the govt. people involved in energy. Coal is a very good temporary solution while we hammer the real Hydrogen car tech out, and be totally indipendant on foreighn oil!!.. if the Germans could do this in the 40's why the heck cant we do in now?!?? bah I rant too much lol.. just venting , gas prices dont have to be this high.. at all!!
You are correct about coal; however, Hydrogen power is a pipe dream. Do some research on The Hindenburg. I don't know about you, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive a mobile bomb around. Hydrogen power was something dreamt up by Sci-Fi geeks back in the 1980's. It is not as clean as proponant want you to believe, and it will NOT be a viable source for transportation. If it were, then why are modern day blimps using Helium
1. Hydrogen is just as dangerous as any other combustible material just in differnt way. What I mean by this is that in a car that runs on gas if the tank become ruptured it takes a long time for that gas to disipate. Which gives the gas along time to find an ignition sorce. In a hydrogen vehicle the hydrogen is so reactive and so much lighter then air that it dispates in a matter of seconds wich makes it extremly hard to find and iginition sorce. Also The fact that hydrogen is so reactive also makes it safer. When a hydrogen tank does find an ignition source it creates a very big torch in one direction unlike gas which will burn the whole car up. I will point out that if the tourch is pointed towards the occupants then it would be a very bad situation but, again it's unlikely that it would find an ignition source and be pointed at the occupants.
2. Your car will not become a mobilebomb just because your run hydrogen. Like I said hydrogen disipates to fast to find an ignition sorce.
3. I will agree that it is not as clean. In reality it takes energy to create hydrogen so in a way hydrogen is just a fancy battery but, what it does do is create one source of pollution (the power plant) instead of a million (cars). This would be an extremly effective way to use coal to power our vehicles. Also if the hydrogen was made be green power sources then it does in fact become extremly clean since it's only byprodut is HHO.
4. The reason helium is not used as a propellent. You might not have meant that it was but, that is the way it comes across.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:44 AM
RangerMateo

3. I will agree that it is not as clean. In reality it takes energy to create hydrogen so in a way hydrogen is just a fancy battery but, what it does do is create one source of pollution (the power plant) instead of a million (cars). This would be an extremly effective way to use coal to power our vehicles. Also if the hydrogen was made be green power sources then it does in fact become extremly clean since it's only byprodut is HHO.
Bingo! The end goal is to use solar/wind/hydro to isolate the H2. Gas is just a fancy battery too, just that it was charged by the dinosaurs

We got bored here the other day because no flying due to weather. We figured up that the Air Force base I'm at burns up about 144 T-Rex's a day...the one I did my casual status at was more like 900 =)

Quick Reply: Run your Ram on water?