2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CNG compressed natural gas conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
myates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CNG compressed natural gas conversion

A couple of data points from what I have learned:
1) CNG is about $0.74 per gallon less in SoCal than gasoline for about the same mileage.
2) Comment re: compression from above: CNG is not a liquid, rather highly compressed gas. LPG is a liquid and large ships carry LCNGafter theyliquify it under tremdenous pressure to save shipping space.
3) Early CNG systems use 3000 psi but later system use 3600 psi. Some filling stations like the ones near me are only for 3600 psi fill, as I read the pumps and the literature.
4) The ordinary gas system as mentioned on the farm well (and in city pipes runs about 15 psi Same NG I understand, but not compressed. Local gov. agencies in SoCal will give you a rebate of $2500 to install a home pump costing about $4000.
5) http://gasprices.mapquest.com/has CNG stations mapped; default selection is Gasoline, but pull down to CNG. This is not well populated; several local stations that have CNG are not on it, but it is a start.
6) There is some issue about carpool access with self-installed system. Check it out if that is important. I am still checking.

Still lookingforgasoline/CNG systems that I can self-install on 5.9L RAM and meet CARB. Help.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:45 PM
kroffty
Rookie

Thanks for the info myates. I didnt know that.. Good Job!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

lol you people are hilarious.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

lol you people are hilarious.
Why is that?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After many hours of research on this and going to cngchat.com I have to say no to CNG. We only have 1 refill station in the Saint Louis area. The Phill costs 4000, and even though it is like doing a water heater, the price is 300 for shipping and 300+ for the install. Outdoor units do not like the cold (14 or less) and cost up to $11,000.

The do it yourself kit may not work with the OBII computer in many cars, but it is made in South America, so what do they care.

The Phill will need to be refurbished after a certain number of hours of use, the problem is the hours counted on the clock are not the hours used in the actuall filling of CNG! The gauge is set up to count when it is drawing electricity to clean itself. Guess what you have to pay to have in un/reinstalled by a certified tech? Guess what you have to pay for shipping? YEP!

CNGchat.com will open your eyes to a few things. This looks like a rich man's toy right now. Unless you have a friend that can help you out, think twice.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

One last thing. Those mycngkit.com units are not EPA certified so you WON'T get the incentive to switch over. That is why they are sold outside the USA. The epa/carb certified kits run $8-10,000 to have installed. They must be installed by a tech. I told you this was a rich man's game!

When you go bi-fuel-both the gas and the CNG must pass inspection! So the cat. stays on.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

One last thing. Those mycngkit.com units are not EPA certified so you WON'T get the incentive to switch over. That is why they are sold outside the USA. The epa/carb certified kits run $8-10,000 to have installed. They must be installed by a tech. I told you this was a rich man's game!

When you go bi-fuel-both the gas and the CNG must pass inspection! So the cat. stays on.
The Federal Government will reimburse half of the cost of installing an EPA certified setup. Your state may as well, meaning overall the kit could be free. Someone where I work has just done that one his truck, which was converted at a company in North Carolina.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

Missouri is about 4 years behind every other state. CNG is 1.89 here, but there is only oneplace inthe St. Louis metro area to get a fill. The FuelMaker Phill unit is just crazy unless you can get a good deal off ebay or something and install it yourself.

I think you have to pay upfront and then get your money back from the Fed and State. Missouri does not have any incentives at this time. The funny thing was, I talked to several people and they did not even know what CNG was. My state senator has not even written me back.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

Also, don't expect a check in the mail. The way you get your money from the state and fed's is in the way of a tax credit or deduction.They lower the amount you are taxed next year, so it will show up in the tax overpaid box. Dual income families will not see a deduction unless mileage and fule logs are used and the car us part of a home based business.

Sorry!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

My state senator has not even written me back.
LMAO. Maybe if you had some pictures of him in a less than flattering position.

Maybe I'm dense and this has already been answered, but is it possible to do one of these conversions and end up with a dual fueled vehicle. Maybe with a switch or set of switches to change from pump gas to cng. We have one station here, but a lot of the places we travel have an abundance of them (DC for one).

Quick Reply: CNG compressed natural gas conversion