2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CNG compressed natural gas conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CNG compressed natural gas conversion

ORIGINAL: mopowar

My state senator has not even written me back.
LMAO. Maybe if you had some pictures of him in a less than flattering position.

Maybe I'm dense and this has already been answered, but is it possible to do one of these conversions and end up with a dual fueled vehicle. Maybe with a switch or set of switches to change from pump gas to cng. We have one station here, but a lot of the places we travel have an abundance of them (DC for one).
Yep, you're dense. The kits we're talking about have a switch that selects either CNG or petrol.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Yea, I just got off of the phone with them. I think I'm going to try this out on one of the service trucks. I just wanted to make sue I wasn't gonna end up paying a couple of guys to wander around bmfk asking for natural gas so they can get home. The freakin tanks though. Maybe I'll just stay at the shop and make those things for a living.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 PM
citygasdude
Rookie

I have driven a Ford van 350 with the triton v-8 with cng on it, about 90 miles to the fill up before you start looking for a filing station, (which there are only 3 places in town) and also power is not that impressive. I dont know what size tank it had.Iif someone else filled up 15 min before you then you will not get more than 3/4 of a tank or less unless you set there for an hour waiting for the compressors to build the pressure back up in the storage tanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Apparently, timing adjustments can be made to compensatefor the loss of power. I don't see a cng motor putting out the same hp as a gas motor anytime soon. Cubes to cubes that is. Unfortunately, the one cng station listed anywhere around hereat cngprices.com didn't know wtf I was talking about when I called them on the telephone. However they (she) was very friendly and said that they do have gas cards that can save on the per gallon price of petrol. I am already enrolled in one of these programs, and, while $600 isn't chump changeit's relatively miniscule compared to my total petrol cost. Per month that is. Maybe she can do better.

It's funny how things work.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Truck Ram ROD
Rookie

i plan on doin a converion on my 94 3.9L V6 cause here i can but the kit for 300 used in good workin condition and a compressor for 2000 that has just been rebuilt and there is a fill station about 45 min away and i go out that way every weekend anyway but i am puting 3 tanks in (maybe 1 more later on) and for me it would pay off pretty quick

Quick Reply: CNG compressed natural gas conversion