2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My headlights are pretty much a failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My headlights are pretty much a failure

I love my Dodge, I've had her since she was brand new. But good god, this truck must have the worst headlights on the planet. They are about as powerful as 2 unfocused maglights taped to my bumper. Regardless, I've checked my voltage and all is well, I've installed Silverstar Ultra's and that helped ever so slightly. So here is my prediciment. I am looking to get a new set of headlights, but all I can find on the internet are lights that are ricier than a Southern-California Civic. I did find one pair that I didnt really mind though: http://www.lmctruck.com/Features/DE/DEEH.htm

One thing confused me however, it says that it says "for models with dual headlights" meaning the sport, yet down in the annotation next to the actual product, it says
Note "A" Does not fit 1999-02 Sport models.
So I'm stumped. I'm going to just email them and find out what the deal is unless anyone know's otherwise. I'm really looking to get an OEM style light, without replacing my stock parking light. (Which I like) I'm trying to retain as much of my stock look as possible and I think these will achieve that.

For Reference, they are going onto a 2001 Ram 1500 Base model. Here she is:

Thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/89449/10F8B3A50AE343A29B2E09122B5633AE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: My headlights are pretty much a failure

You can get a nice set of lights through LMCTRUCK.com they have the ones like you are looking at plus others. they will send you a free catalog if you would like plus they have all the correct aplications new wires etc. Check them out.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Viper37
Banned

Did you read my post? The headlights I am looking at are through LMC. My question is does anyone know if there is another headlamp other than these on the market that is just a single piece, and doesnt look like it came from Ebay?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock replacements, Projectors, and the projector style without the projectors are about the only ones I've seen for this truck. Whats wrong with the sport model headlights there? You can make the sport headlights work on the regular Rams. I've seen it done plenty of times. I think you have to either get or make a wiring harness for them and I'm not sure if you need the bracket or what but it seems like its something you need there too. There used to be lots of guys on PS back in the day doing the conversion. It was a pretty popular one. I think one place used to sell the harness you needed but I don't know which place it is.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Viper37
Banned

I looked at that, but I dont fancy cutting the inside of my fenders to accomodate headlights. I looked a bit more and I found this thread about 4300k HID. Looks like exactly what I want.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_570584/tm.htm

Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah HID's seem to be the best choice. Retrofits are the best but even with a PNP kit I've heard lots of guys say they love them they just seem to create more glare. I've been wanting to put a nice quality HID kit in my truck I just can't see paying that for a hi and low beam kit. Some of the single beam kits aren't bad price but bi xenon ones seem to be crazy high still. Xenondeopt.com is a site I've heard good things about for HID's. Someday I will probably get a set but I haven't done it yet. 4300k is supposed to be the brightest and any higher temp rating you get more color but they aren't going to have as good of light output. That being said If I do it I will probably get a 8k or so kit.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 PM
CySlyde
Professional

dual headlights just mean you have two bulbs... quad means you have four (sport model)

Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: CySlyde

dual headlights just mean you have two bulbs... quad means you have four (sport model)
On second thought good point. That looks kind of like that headlight only holds 1 bulb per side is that correct? If so they will proabably work for you.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
CySlyde
Professional

Yes they only hold one light per side... my neighbor runs them on his truck and they work very well with the HID's since they have the reflector up front to help bounce the light back into the rear aiming reflector

Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Viper37
Banned

Your neighbor has thoes ones I found at LMC? If so, thats good news because I was probably going to go HID anyways.

Quick Reply: My headlights are pretty much a failure