2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone Tried these HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Tried these HID kits?

I found this site last night and gave the guy a call today. http://www.sharphid.com/ The owner John was very courteous and helpful. I did some searching across many forums and I have found nothing but good reviews of his products. I'm going to order the 35Watt BiXenon's today. I'll let you know how they are.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Thefiremon
Rookie

What housings does everyone like to use?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Yeah I'm thinking if I go with one I want a 8000k kit but not 100% sure yet. I've heard 4300 is the brightest and what most of the cars come with from the factory. So not sure if I want as high as 8000k. I don't want to lose a ton of light output but want a good color too.

I'm still not sure what I want to do. The only car I've really been in much with HID's is my uncle has a Prius that has them and I just wasn't impressed at all. They were better than my truck but then again my truck is soo much higher up it's hard to judge. They didn't seem much better than the lights in our 06 Accord. It lit up the sides of the road slightly more but honestly they didn't seem that much brighter to me and he had fog lights too where as the Accord doesn't have HID's or Fog lights. It kind of at the time made me reconsider getting them and was one of the reasons I don't have them yet. I've really started wanting them again and guess I'm hoping they will be a lot better than in his car but I have a feeling they will be worse since the headlights aren't properly setup for them. I can't decide if I should get a set and take a huge chance of being highly dissapointed or just keep what I have now.

There are a few other things I want for my truck before I have it exactly like I want although it's close now. HID's are one of them but there are 2 others in that price range or not much more too.

Yeah, the prius's headlights are not that much of an improvement from the Honda Accords halogen headlights, but also the accord has a new design built into there headlight housing that amplifies the light by so much, we have the same accord, and the problem with the prius is that their headlight design is a very incompatible design with the hid setup because HID's have a very concentrated beam and if you look at the design its not very cut, its a much more cut headlight design almost contradicting what the projection headlight does for the hid setup. At least this is what I learned when my parents were looking to find a new car and I was reading up on the designs because that what I do when I get involved in something about cars. my parents trust my opinion so I helped them out and read up about the cars and gave them input, so you cant really judge the hid effect by the prius.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But wouldn't my truck be worse since the headlights aren't setup for HID's at all?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

it will honestly improve from anything that you can do with halogens, but dont have any illusions that its going to be like the BMW's HID setup without a true set of projection headlights that are designed for it. It will look real nice with the HID's and the 8000K's still I think are double the output of a standard halogen, now remember this, the way they always put it is standard. a nice halogen bulb, such as the PIAA's will probably be near that, but it still wont be right at that range, and you cant get the cool purple/bluish color out of it. (headlights are kind of an obsession of mine if you cant tell lol) And the honest problem with buying the PIAA's is that they seem to put out more light that an original halogen bulb, but for some reason, the bluish color that comes out of them almost makes everything seem worse off because its not truly like the HID's. So with all that said there are definite advantages to each headlight, but the HID's will make the most improvement but its also very easy to get in trouble with these since the scatter will be really bad with the stock setup, if you want to retrofit it make sure to make the cutoff point at the top of the projection a very precise cut, if you can find someone with on the BMW suv's with the projection HID's try and get a chance to look at the inside of the projection on one of those and you might get an idea. But overall you will see improvement with the HID's no matter what, the only problem with the prius is that its setup with a bad HID setup, and the Accord is setup with almost the best Halogen bulb setup you can find now. I mean, I honestly probably have never seen a halogen bulb setup that was better than our accords, Honda actually did really well with that design and I was very impressed with it.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I am very close to ordering a set. I'm just a getting a little tight on money as I have spent so much on toys recently so I can't decide if I want these things bad enough to spend that on them or not.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I would take some time to decide, wait till you are comfortable with the money you have, and maybe by that time something else might have caught your eye that you would rather do, but if you are one of those guys that really wants improved visibility for many obvious reasons then these headlights are definitely a go. but just know, you might as well hit it true with them because if your going for improved visibility over looks I would get the 6000k set because its improved visibility and not so obviously purplish that it attracts attention to the cops but still has the improved look of the 8000K while being close in effect with the 4300K. Make it a balance, I know everyone seems to either pick 4300 or 8000, but you can get the best of both with a little color, and the visibility while possibly lowering your risk of cop involvement because the more purple they are the more obvious it is that you've been doing something with the headlights.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey hometheaterman, I'm selling my black housing headlights. Thought you might be interested since you'r getting HID's.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
dodge_driver

ORIGINAL: Viper37

I wouldnt go with the original posted ones. Those are 100% knockoff. Easiest way to tell is the ballast. That is the phillips design ballast with the phillips design sticker. Yet the sticker doenst say Phillips. That ballast also has Engrish not English. I was considering the BiXenons from this site. http://xenoneyes.com/index.php

I'm gonna call them to see if they are legit.

I have bought a kit from XenonEyes.com and they work great. Had them in my car for 4 months now and everything is a-ok. I would definitely suggest them.

Quick Reply: Anyone Tried these HID kits?