2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone Tried these HID kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Tried these HID kits?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...spagenameZWDVW

Anyone tried those kits? I mean for a bi xenon kit they are super cheap. I've been wanting HID's for a while now but can't see me shelling out $3-400 for a set of headlights. Anyone know if those are any good? Anyone used them? Would I be better off to just get a nice set from Xenon Depot or Xenon King if I do get HID's?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Tried these HID kits?

For that price, it almost seems silly to not give it a shot. When I look for HID kits, I usually aim to spend at least $150 though. My brother bought a kit for his truck and it cost him $165. They have worked great, looked great, and haven't given him any problems. They look really awesome, and I can't wait to have them going on in my headlights and foglights, should look really custom.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an eBay HID kit, and they work just fine. I bought mine from HIDking and I would reccomend you do the same thing. Great customer service, great shipping, good price, good stuff.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: CSCustomCars

I've got an eBay HID kit, and they work just fine. I bought mine from HIDking and I would reccomend you do the same thing. Great customer service, great shipping, good price, good stuff.
What did it cost you? I've always been a fan of doing stuff right and getting the best I can but I just can't see paying $3-500 for a set of PNP HID's from a known company like Xenon Depot or Xenon King or whatever when I can get a offbrand kit from eBay for that price. I don't know I don't want a set that will die in a year but I don't really want a $500 set either. If I'm going to spend that much I would just spend the extra and do a retrofit which is what I really would like to do anyway as that seems to be the only proper way to do it. Not exactly sure what I want to do yet.

01DodgeRam how long has your brother had his? Do you know which seller he got his from? Does his truck take a bi xenon kit? I don't want to lose my highbeams so want a bi xenon kit if I get them.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman
What did it cost you? I've always been a fan of doing stuff right and getting the best I can but I just can't see paying $3-500 for a set of PNP HID's from a known company like Xenon Depot or Xenon King or whatever when I can get a offbrand kit from eBay for that price. I don't know I don't want a set that will die in a year but I don't really want a $500 set either. If I'm going to spend that much I would just spend the extra and do a retrofit which is what I really would like to do anyway as that seems to be the only proper way to do it. Not exactly sure what I want to do yet.

01DodgeRam how long has your brother had his? Do you know which seller he got his from? Does his truck take a bi xenon kit? I don't want to lose my highbeams so want a bi xenon kit if I get them.
Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...QQcmdZViewItem

They cost a little bit more than the one you posted, but I've had mine for over a year and a half now, with no problems.

You do need to buy aftermarket headlights though, for the clear lens. You can't use HID's with the stock lens that scatter the halogen beam. HID's are a very concentrated, precise beam, and technically you should have wide angle projectors for them, but I don't. And I know a lot of people that don't have projectors as well.

If you get one, yo won't go back to Halogen's. HID's are so much better.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Would those fit in the driving/fog lights?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

So If I kept my stock headlights they wouldn't work well at all or would they just not be up to their full potential? I don't want to buy a $200 set of headlights just yet to use with those atlhough I might eventually in the future. If I thew those in my stock housings would they be better than stock?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Viper37
Banned

I wouldnt go with the original posted ones. Those are 100% knockoff. Easiest way to tell is the ballast. That is the phillips design ballast with the phillips design sticker. Yet the sticker doenst say Phillips. That ballast also has Engrish not English. I was considering the BiXenons from this site. http://xenoneyes.com/index.php

I'm gonna call them to see if they are legit.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Would those fit in the driving/fog lights?
You would need the sinlge beam conversion for an 880 bulb I believe.

here's a kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...QQcmdZViewItem

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

So If I kept my stock headlights they wouldn't work well at all or would they just not be up to their full potential? I don't want to buy a $200 set of headlights just yet to use with those atlhough I might eventually in the future. If I thew those in my stock housings would they be better than stock?
They really would be like blue-ish halogen's like the ricer's have. Not much better than stock at all. You really need to have clear lenses to have the full benefit of the HID's.
Like I said, the beam from a xenon bulb is very concentrated. It doesn't want to spread out like stock bulbs do.

There was a good write up somewhere, I can go see if i can dig it up.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Viper37
Banned

ORIGINAL: CSCustomCars

You can't use HID's with the stock lens that scatter the halogen beam. HID's are a very concentrated, precise beam, and technically you should have wide angle projectors for them, but I don't.
Sure you can. Are you forgetting that 2nd Generation Dodge Rams have the worst headlights in the history of ever?

Go look at these photo's of a guy using 4300 HID's in stock housings.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_570584/tm.htm
Looks pretty legit to me.

Quick Reply: Anyone Tried these HID kits?