2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stall at Idle.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Mudbone25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stall at Idle.

I reset my pcm when i replaced my IAC. The comp stores the settings for sensors and when you switch out to a new sensor its just going to be giving it old information.

+1 on cleaning the throttle body. I just did this a couple days ago.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:15 AM
RangerMateo

ORIGINAL: chet

ya i seafoamed it when i cleaned it, one or the other helped ALOT but its still there. Smoked the whole block out haha.

I was doing mine and due to my low SA it happened to be around the time when they play the national anthem on base. Of course it started while I was mid can and now I'm standing there with my hand over my heart my truck rumbling and smoke as far as I could see downwind. It was awesome...

Old 05-10-2008, 12:28 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

The blind leading the blind lol.

What was the situation previous that made you conclude you had fixed the problem, and what changed?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:59 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Indy's got a good point here, albeit a bit abrasive as usual. The big point I think is after warm up.

IAC would affect it from a cold start. I'm thinking it's something in closed loop causing the issue, but we'd need to know what you had exprienced before and what you attempted to fix.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:43 PM
chet
Professional

before it was really bad and wouldnt hardly idle at all. to fix i cleaned the IAC and seafoamed it. It helped a little but still sputters.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: chet

before it was really bad and wouldnt hardly idle at all. to fix i cleaned the IAC and seafoamed it. It helped a little but still sputters.
Is it a sputter or a surge?

Quick check here. If you havent already check the connection on the IAC to make sure its snapped on. It may have been plugged in and not snapped down and come loose since you cleaned it.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:51 AM
chet
Professional

its a sputter, but only at idle after warmed up. Ill check the connections but im 99% posotive its snapped in because i like triple checked everything after i did it. The intake also makes sucking sound when the truck is sputtering.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
RangerMateo

Mine had the exact same symptoms and the IAC / TB cleanout fixed it. There was a break-in type of period that it seemed like it was hunting for idle, but after about 100 miles it settled down just fine. As for the initial temperature corrolation, is it possible that the higher temps could have just softened up the varnish on the rod? Mine was pretty covered in nastiness.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 PM
chet
Professional

how hard is it to clean the TB, and do i need to take it off to clean it ? what do you use to clean it with ?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Mudbone25
Professional

Its not hard to clean/ take off. Theres a DYI on it that covers most of the job.

Quick Reply: Stall at Idle.