2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008 | 07:01 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned
Default RE: New Direction

Ok, I guess this is my goal with this lift. I've just been doing a lot of thinking lately. With the way gas prices are right now, and the risk I can't take for anything prematurely breaking because of the big tires and crappy lift, I want to set this truck down a little bit. I don't want it to be stock height, this is why I think the 3" lift is the perfect solution. Makes the truck a little higher than stock so I get my liftkit satisfaction, but it's also not going to be so high that I'll be stuck running 35" tires and having to pay $1,000+ on a 5" liftkit. Besides, I don't need it that high. I rarely mud. In fact what is most fun to me is being able to go fast, I like to speed, it's in my blood. I hate being limited to doing 85 on the highway. I hate feeling bad about flooring it because I know my truck is having to lug around these giant 35" offroad tires. Personally, what would really satisfy me is having a nice fresh new liftkit on the truck, and running a 33" tire. With a 3" lift, the 33" tire should look proportional like the truck does now. Then the truck will have a little more stability, be able to do long trips effortlessly, I'll be able to do my speeding when I'd like to, and the truck won't struggle to get up to speeds like it does now. And to top it off, I'll get better gas mileage, and things on the truck are just going to last longer because it won't have the stress of moving giant tires all the time. So I'm not really sure what kit to go with still. I mean aren't the coil springs I have now 2"? So theoretically, couldn't I take the AAL out of the rear, and put a 1" coil spacer in the front, and be done with it? Then as I please, I can replace the shocks when I can afford it? Or I don't know, just thinking out loud here. I won't be back til Monday though. But hopefully you guys can get me some final answers here based upon the infomation I've given to you about my goals and driivng styles. Thanks fellas.

Old 05-10-2008 | 11:32 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

That eBay kit is not what you want. It has a bunch of parts you don't need and not the ones you should get. Those blocks look like the ones you stack ontop of your current rear blocks which just isn't safe. You don't need a bunch of those other parts it has either.

The Summit Kit looks better for the rear as it has a AAL but you will be in the same situation you are now in the front. It has a 3" spacer and it will put your truck at the height it is now without changing all the parts needed. You can use a kit like that on a non offroad model truck. Since you have the Offroad model you need to add a bunch of parts if you add a 3" spacer. If you however replace the coils with just 3" lift coils it will give you 3" lift over the factory non offroad trucks but only 1.5" over what the stock offroads are and thats what you want to use. Or you can get stock coil springs from a non offroad and then use that spacer but thats not what I'd do. The max you should go on stock front end parts is 3" over the height of the non offroad Rams. Since you Offroad model gives you 1.5" of lift stock the max you should go over the stock height of them is a extra 1.5" in the front.

As for the AAL you have now it depends on how much lift it's for as to if you can reuse it. If you get a kit I'd just get one with the correct AAL you need. Yours could give you 2" of lift which would work or it could give you 4" of lift which would have the back sit way high. It's hard to tell. Thats why I'd just replace it all.

I'll try to find you a kit that I'd get.

Old 05-10-2008 | 11:39 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Here is a kit I'd probably get. All you should need besides what is included here is shocks. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

It has lower control arms which you don't have to have but they look better imo then it gives you the new coils for the front and the new aals for the rear.

You should call Skyjacker and ask what model shocks you need or call Summit although sometimes they get stuff like that confused as to which it will fit. I've had it happen 2 times. So I'd call Skyjacker if it was me.

I would get a kit with all new coils up front as a 3" lift kit with 3" spacers up front won't be a 3" lift on your truck it will be a 4.5" which will mean you need new parts it doesn't have.

For the rear I wouldn't stack blocks either I'd get a nice AAL . Honestly that Skyjacker kit is about what you would need. That plus shocks and you should be set. Just be warned it may or may not be red anymore. Skyjacker has changed to black powerdercoated parts instead of red. I like red best but I'm not sure which summit will sell you so might want to ask if it matters to you.

Old 05-11-2008 | 01:12 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

1st things 1st , get tools , lots of tools...

Old 05-11-2008 | 12:29 PM
CySlyde
Professional

I have to second third and fourth the "Do not stack lift blocks" ever! it's almost worse than stacking hockey pucks. one is fine, multiple is a huge huge no-no

Old 05-12-2008 | 09:57 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Here is a kit I'd probably get. All you should need besides what is included here is shocks. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

It has lower control arms which you don't have to have but they look better imo then it gives you the new coils for the front and the new aals for the rear.

You should call Skyjacker and ask what model shocks you need or call Summit although sometimes they get stuff like that confused as to which it will fit. I've had it happen 2 times. So I'd call Skyjacker if it was me.

I would get a kit with all new coils up front as a 3" lift kit with 3" spacers up front won't be a 3" lift on your truck it will be a 4.5" which will mean you need new parts it doesn't have.

For the rear I wouldn't stack blocks either I'd get a nice AAL . Honestly that Skyjacker kit is about what you would need. That plus shocks and you should be set. Just be warned it may or may not be red anymore. Skyjacker has changed to black powerdercoated parts instead of red. I like red best but I'm not sure which summit will sell you so might want to ask if it matters to you.

But see, why is that so much money? It doesn't even come with new shocks? However instead of shocks and a spacer it's coming with coil springs which would eliminate spacers all together. So that will work on a offroad edition? I think that does look nice, and then when I can, I could replace the shocks when I can afford it. Would that replace my stock blocks as well? A 315 is a 35" tire, and a 285 is too thin. I brought the truck to the offroad shop today and he's looking up prices to have a 3" lift put in. I think he's getting confused though between the whole "offroad edition" deal. I kept saying I wanted a 3" lift, and he kept saying it's going to be the same as it is now. What I was trying to tell him though was I wanted something "total" of a 3" lift, I don't want to stack a 3" lift ontop of the offroad package suspension. A 3" lift could either mean putting a 1" spacer in the front, or replacing the coil springs with 3" springs. It's just the rear I don't know what it is. I have pictures of the rear. Can you guys tell if it's the stock block, and what AAL it is? Also, another thought. Would it hurt to just buy the 3" coil springs and the block and AAL seperately? Would that be cheaper? Seeing that I don't really need the control arms?

[IMG]local://upfiles/61042/CCE76C4557F944D9A16B1E61F4F1531C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008 | 10:20 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

Jeez I apoligize here, I keep editing this post. But anyways, I've called summit to price out piecing this kit together.

I can get two Skyjacker 3" coilsprings for $166. I can also get two 2.5" AAL for $81. And four 3" Skyjacker shocks will cost $160. Now the only thing I'm confused is about is the block and leaf ordeal. I'm getting confused about what I need for the rear. What is going to make my truck a " 3" lift in the rear"?? IF I buy the 2.5" AAL is that going to make it 3" in the rear. I don't know what size that block was in the skyjacker kit that made it 3". Does anyone know what I need to make it 3" for the rear alltogether to match the front?

Old 05-12-2008 | 11:45 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

That block looks factory so you don't need to mess with it just don't get a kit that has blocks for the rear. Get a kit with a AAL instead.

That Skyjacker kit is exactly what you need. You don't need a block in the rear other than the factory one. Just have them take the AAL you have out and put the AAL in from this kit in. You don't mess with the block. Thats the best way to do it unless for some reason you don't want to use a AAL. Basically if you put a block from a 3" kit in and keep the AAL you have now your rear end is going to be higher than the front. Also do not let them get a kit with spacers up front. You need 3" lift coils like that Skyjacker kit. If you get that kit all you need is shocks.

Honestly though you could probably piece it together a lot cheaper. You posted prices for the coils and AAL in the thread and shocks. Thats all you need. With a 3" lift you don't really need those lowerl arms so if you add a set of 3" Skyjacker coils up front and a Skyjacker AAL like you said and the shocks thats all you need anyway. The Skyjacker control arms look nice but are supposed to be the same length as stock so unless you want them to look nice you don't need them. If you want to get out of this cheap I'd get the 3" springs they told you the 2.5" AAL and the shocks. You can then replace the AAL thats in there now with this new one. Up front you take the coil springs and the spacers you have now out and put just these coil springs in. You will then have a 3" lift that is like it should be. Don't need to mess with the block in the rear as long as you get a kit with a AAL or get the AAL summit is selling you.

The cheapest option will be buying those coils, shocks, and AAL and you will still have a lift done right. I don't know that I'd pay that much extra for the kit that only has the control arms that the only thing they do is look better. You don't need them with the 3" lift. Also you have to factor in the new stuff may be black instead of red unless Summit has some old red stuff left over.

Old 05-12-2008 | 12:12 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

whats your bumper height ??? with the offroad package any spring you put on will be a inch less , so the 3" springs will give ya 2" lift , 7" spring will give ya 6" lift ... i think we went thru this before , i think you have the same bumper height as me , which would give ya 6" lift .. i was speed reading thru this unless your gonna change your tire to a 285 or a 295 tire .JUST TAKE THAT SO CALLED LIFT OFF AND LEAVE IT STOCK !!!! I think you can use a 5" spring and still be able to use the 2.5" AAl..

Old 05-12-2008 | 12:28 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

Original: padodgeram

1st things 1st , get tools , lots of tools...
+1 on that...

Quick Reply: New Direction