2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008 | 01:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Default RE: New Direction

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

whats your bumper height ??? with the offroad package any spring you put on will be a inch less , so the 3" springs will give ya 2" lift , 7" spring will give ya 6" lift ... i think we went thru this before , i think you have the same bumper height as me , which would give ya 6" lift .. i was speed reading thru this unless your gonna change your tire to a 285 or a 295 tire .JUST TAKE THAT SO CALLED LIFT OFF AND LEAVE IT STOCK !!!! I think you can use a 5" spring and still be able to use the 2.5" AAl..
He can't just put a set of 5" lift springs up front and change nothing else. He can only go 3" over the height of a non offroad Ram before he needs to start changing parts. Since he is already 1.5" over the stock Ram height since it's the offroad he can only go 1.5" over what the stock offroads are. Therefore he needs springs for a 3" lift so they will replace the offroad coils. He can't put a 3" spacer ontop of the offroad coils as that will put him at 4.5" of lift which is where he is now and he will need a bunch of other parts.

He doesn't seem to know what he needs so I'm trying to help him and how you said it is super confusing even though I think you are trying to say the same thing I am. If I'm having a hard time making out what you are trying to say it will more than likely really confuse him.

He would be best off to just buy those Skyjacker coils, aal, and shocks.

As for the 285's I'm not sure what they come out to be for a 17" wheel. I run 305's on my 16x10 Eagle Alloy wheels on my 3" lift. They rub when I hit a bump at full lock but thats hardly anything and thats only because the wheels are so wide. If I went with a 8" wide wheel I highly doubt they will do that.

Old 05-12-2008 | 07:59 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

Alright Will, I think that sounds best. I will piece this out seeing I don't really need those control arms. If anything, I can go in later and do those. So I will buy Skyjacker 3" coil springs. Skyjacker 3" nitro shocks for the rear and front. And a 2.5" Skyjacker AAL for the rear, and have the existing AAL taken out. Does that sounds good? Then I will go with with a 305, so it will be just as wide as it is now and will still look meaty. This is something I can get done rather quickly. I think this will make the truck ride much smoother, and be bearable on the highway. I think I want the Procomp All-Terrains. Is a 33/12.5/17 a 305?

Also, as for the AAL, all I need is a 2.5" AAL? Not a 3" AAL? Just wasn't sure on that. I got all the prices from summit, and it's actually not that bad to get all the parts. Just need to make sure which size AAL I need. Since it's a 3" lift, don't I need a 3" AAL though?

And what about dual steering stabilizers. Are these something that will bolt right up to my truck? I think they will look cool and add even more comfort when driving. This is my ultimate goal, for this truck to drive smooth, and for it to be comfortable on big highway trips. I do a lot of driving for work and I just want to start enjoying the ride of this truck and just hearing that exhaust purr. So is a steering stablizer something I could have put in later, does it take any fabbing to put a dual one in? And what would they do for me? Doing this 3" kit will really be nice, I'll also be able to utilize my 3" thuren fabrication trackbar now too.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 05-12-2008 | 11:05 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yup as I've said the AAL, coils, and shocks are all you really need.

You should check out the Toyo's for a tire. I've not run them on my truck yet but have heard nothing but good things about them. Out of the cars the Toyo's are the best tire I've run. I'm a huge fan and read a lot of awesome things about them for the trucks.

As for the dual steering stabilizers I honestly don't know. Maybe someone else can answer that. I do kind of think they look cool but I don't have one and my truck drives fine. I've never installed one so can't comment on how they go on.

Old 05-16-2008 | 01:32 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

Ok guys, final check. I am buying the tires tonight. Do you think a 33/12.5/17 will be alright too run? I just feel like a 285/70/17 is going to look to narrow on this truck. And the next size up is a 305, which I believe is a 33/12.5/17. Right now I have 35/12.5/17s. So with a 33" tire, I'll be in the better ballpark with the 4.10 gearing, even though it's technically a big 33" tire. I've decided to go with the Procomp All Terrain. 50,000 mile warranty, severe weathered rated, smooth tread, and I can get four of them for $808 shipped to my door. I just still a little nervous though, a 33/12.5/17 is still a really big tire, but I also don't want to strip the truck away from it's persona. It's going to have a 3" lift on it, I just can't see a 285 filling in the gap enough ya know? Do you think it's the right decision with the size of the tire? Thanks guys.

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:13 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

A 305 for a 17" wheels is better than a 33". It's more like a 34". The 305"s that are 33"s are the ones for a 16" wheel. Yours being 17" throw that off. So don't get a 305. A 305/70R17 is a 33.8" tire so basically a 34". Since they make it in the actual size this is what I'd go with.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Pro...;t_pn=PCT17033

It's a 33x12.50R17. Thats what I'd go with as it's the exact size you need. The only reason to go with 305's imo for the 16" wheels are if the tire company doesn't make a 33x12.50 they are basically similar.
I'd go with that 33x12.50R17 tire size. Maybe not from that store as they have a bad rep but still. I personally think that tire will look weird that wide as it looks like a street tire. It's just not my favorite design but if you like it thats all that matters.

A 285 is basically a 33" but it's about an inch narrower. I think it would look fine but have more of a stock look to it instead of having a wide look like the 12.50" wide tires do. I think either one would look fine but if you want the lifted look the 12.50"s might look better. They are moslty the same height. Technically a 285 is like .3" smaller but I highly doubt you'd notice a difference there.

BTW did you see my post in your other thread about how you should go post up your mods in the totm thread if you get a chance?

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:18 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

BTW if I went with a AT tire this would be one of the top choices I'd look at

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...=lgt-suv-truck

The other two are the Kelly Safari MSR's a buddy has them and I like them on his S-10 but they might be too agressive for what you want and the other tire I'd look at is the Bridgestone Dueler AT. The Bidgestones and Toyos would probably be the two I considered most. I really like Toyo stuff atleast I have with the stuff I've run.

Old 05-16-2008 | 10:14 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

I know this sounds crazy, but I've made up my mind with what I want to do. I am having the coil spacers and AAL taken off of the truck and I'm leaving it at stock offroad height. I am also buying Pirelli Scorpion ATRs in a 285/70R17 size and calling it done. I thought a lot about it, and I just think it's silly for me to spend all this money buying a 3" lift when I don't even need it. And a 305 is still as wide as the tire I have now, so that seems redundant too. So she's going back down to stock size and having 285s which will work perfect with the 4.10 gearing. I'll get all the power back, she'll be quick on her feet, faster, and be able to do the long trips I often do with this truck. Now as far as shocks, what size shocks do I look for to replace in the front. Since the coilsprings are about 1.5", do I buy 1-2" shocks? Thanks guys.

Old 05-16-2008 | 11:22 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

That actually doesn't sound like a bad plan for what you want to do unless you really want a lift. You can also always add a lift later on down the road you don't have to have it right now. If you get it to stock height and it's too small you can go bigger later. I honestly like mine lifted a little but even the stock height ones don't look bad.

As for shocks I'm not 100% sure on that. I think the factory Ram shocks will work. The reason I say this is the Offroad package was supposed to come with larger but not longer shocks from everything I've read. This to me means since they are the same length the regular ones should work.

Honestly maybe call your dealer and ask them if they are the same height. I don't know if they will know but it won't hurt to ask. I think 3" lift is supposed to be stretching it on stock shocks but 1.5" or so might work fine. I'd double check you know but I'm kind of thinking you just need the stock size shocks. Like I said though not 100% positive on this so maybe call around and ask parts stores and dealers too. Or maybe someone on here or even PS will know. I might start a thread over there asking. Not saying buy these at the dealer just saying they might be able to help you. Any idea on what shocks you are going with? The guy that owned the shop I used to work for used to always recommend KYB. I've heard good things about Bilstien too and one of the other mechanics that I worked with liked those too. Then I have also heard really good things about the Edelbrock IAS shocks.

I was personally going to go with a set of Fox shocks last time I got shocks and after calling around and talking to them and getting prices and info I decided it was going to cost me almost $1000 for shocks and brackets and that for what I do the $30-40 a piece or whatever Skyjackers would probably work fine and be a lot cheaper. Honestly I may go with a different setup in the future as I kind of want a set of Fox ones but it's hard to pay $1000 for shocks. My Skyjackers seem decent.

Old 05-17-2008 | 12:15 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
|
Banned

I wasn't sure which ones to get. Now that I don't have to buy the lift now, I can spend a little extra on some nice shocks. I'm not sure which color I should get either. I like Silver, but I wasn't sure how a red shock would look. I hate how dodge has a shock on each side of the axle instead of both on one side like the fords, but either way, just want something that will perform nice and look cool. I want the truck to ride as comfy as can be, that's what I really want. A nice solid E range 285 tire, new shocks, put back down to stock height should cover everything I need. The liftkit era was fun for me, but had it not been like that when I bought it, I would have never had it like that. It's just not realistic for me, this is the only vehicle I have, and it's really taxing to drive a truck around all day with 35" tires, undergeared, and a crappy lift. I'm having VIP do the tires tomorrow, it's going to be $820 for all four tires and an allignment with free balance and rotations. Tomorrow I'm having the spacer and AAL taken out as well, so it's going to be a big day for me and the truck tomorrow if it goes accordingly. Truck should drive completely different though. I'm anxious to see if it yields me a lot more power with the 35s off.

Old 05-17-2008 | 12:37 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

good call !! Your limited skills , getting the truck back to stock height is your ticket , shocks will be your call stock height you can go with any shock and not to worry about the height of it..

Quick Reply: New Direction