2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick question about Tranny drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:25 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick question about Tranny drain plug

Last time I had my pan down I installed a B&M drain plug. Well for some reason I decided I better check it today. I don't know what made me decide to do it. Anyway I put a wrench on the bit bolt and then a socket on the little one you pull out to drain the fluid. Anyway when I made sure it's tight it sounded kind of like it loosened a little. Anyway It seems the big bolt spins now pretty easily with a wrench on it. It has always done that I thought it was just harder. It's spinning the nut at the top too you can tell. Do I need to drop the pan and make sure it's tight with the top or am I fine? Do you guys's spin easily? If I do drop the pan is there something I should drain it into? Is it safe to reuse the fluid? Thanks guys.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Quick question about Tranny drain plug

if its not leaking, i'd say its fine. next time you drain the fluid and drop the pan you can take care of it. maybe put a little locktite on it.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:38 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I decided to go ahead and drop the pan to check it out because I'm just paranoid like that and it would have kept bugging me until I did something anyway. I was going to re use the fluid since it was only a few hundred miles old. Well, I got the pan off and the plug was tight as it should have been it tightened up a little but it was pretty tight before still. I still tightened it down some but I'm just paranoid I'm going to have something stupid like that mess up this transmission and as much as it cost I don't want to do that.

Is there such a thing as changing the fluid too often? I was going to reuse the fluid but after seeing how fast dust and pollen and stuff was getting on stuff I decided to just go ahead and fill it up with new fluid. It's not too expensive. Not cheap but not too bad. So I only ran the old fluid for a few hundred miles. Is that a bad thing or is changing the fluid often okay?

Also I was told to make sure not to overfill it. With the truck warmed up the fluid was right at the max line maybe just a hair over. Hard to tell as it seemed to be at the max line but once looked just a hair over it. This is fine right?

I thought about the locktight but was afraid it would get it in the transmission some how. I'm thinking of next time it comes off having a machine shop weld the inside nut to the pan. I would do it myself with my welder but I don't feel like my welds are good enough for the inside of the transmission like that.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 PM
pipeking
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya man, that would be the best bet, is to throw a weld on it.i plan on doing my fluid is it tru that the starter has to come off?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

To drop the pan to change the fluid the starter doesn't have to come off. It may to drop the whole transmission though. However no need to do it for just the fluid. It's just he pan bolts then the torx bolts holding the filter on.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

come on dude , just puta tack weld on it , with trans fluid you could use the same fluid if you had a filter that fit into the spout ( name just slip my mine)

Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

come on dude , just puta tack weld on it , with trans fluid you could use the same fluid if you had a filter that fit into the spout ( name just slip my mine)
Yeah I probably could have reused the fluid but I decided I didn't want to risk anything and wanted to be 100% sure so just put new in there.

As for the tack weld I seriously thought about that but I need a piece to me welder as it has burnt the piece that holds the tips in and I haven't found one at a local store and just haven't gotten around to ordering one. Plus I'd be afraid of my weld inside something like that.

I didn't want to or really have the time to leave it off to take it to a machine shop or anything to have it done.

Quick Reply: Quick question about Tranny drain plug