2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wierd Problems, Help Would Be Great!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM
MuddinMafia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Problems, Help Would Be Great!

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L. I just redid my cylinder heads, replaced head gaskets, etc... Anyways I installed a pair of headers on the truck to increase some exhaust flow. I just put my new Catalytic Converter on today and fired it up and it idled perfect.. Then, after driving for a good 5 minutes or less, it starts to backfire. Its not constantly backfiring, but its getting annoying. Anybody know why it would do this? It backfired worse with straight headers, maybe once I get a muffler, it will reduce the backpressure??

Second, a transmission line fitting going into the top left part of my radiator stripped and its PUKING out tranny fluid. I took the nut and washer off, but I can seem to get the fitting out. Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wierd Problems, Help Would Be Great!

A muffler would increase backpressure and that might help. It sounds like you're getting so much flow that it's pulling unburned fuel out and igniting it there in your high flowing exhaust. Is it a pop or a gurgle. I'd imagine a muffler out to get it back in line.

If that fitting is anything like mine, no. Pretty much f'd. Remove the lines from the radiator completely, cut the tips off (just don't cut down enough to cut off the temp flow thingy), flair them and run hoses to an aux cooler and mount it to the front. Or, replace the entire radiator.

Quick Reply: Wierd Problems, Help Would Be Great!