2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pass. side speaker cuts in / out

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pass. side speaker cuts in / out

Ok, so this speaker has been cutting in and out for over a year now. Finally decided to take some initiative and figure out what the problem was. With the old tape deck in there, she would cut in and out. I installed a pioneer headunit and the pass side speaker still cut in and out. I took the door panel off (wow what an adventure lol) hoping for an obvious disconnected wire. I am pretty much hoping the door section of wire is causing the issue. I'm gonna cut a section of that plastic out and see if I can unwrap the wires in the door to see where the problem is. I kno I am not the only one with this problem. Who out there has had this problem, and figured out what it was.

Thanks in advance,
pcfixerpro

Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 AM
heavyduty1983
Professional
Default RE: Pass. side speaker cuts in / out

it does sound like the obvious, possible just a lil cut n the wire thats grounding out, if u dont wanna spend to much money and want to put in a few man hours just re run better protected speaker wire, i re did mine for all four doors, it took a lil over five hours, when i do it i like to do it rite, or u just may get lucky when u cut the plastic and find the problem rite there whatever it may be good luck

Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 AM
1500sport
Professional

I have almost the same problem. I haven't tried to fix mine yet. Usually if I open the pass door the sound stops completely inside the truck at all speakers. Occasionally with the door shut the sound will stop also, usually "lightly" hitting the door panel around the speaker area fixes that problem. I figure it is a ground issue somewhere.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
jram99
Veteran

While your checking the wire make sure to check the wires inside the rubber boot that runs from the door to the body of the truck. Opening & closing the doors over the years will cause the wire/s to break some times. If broken and you don't want to replace the whole wire you need to at least replace the wire that is inside the rubber boot. Cut a piece long enough to go all the way through the boot and solder it on the inside of the truck and the inside of the door. If it was mine I would run a new piece of speaker wire from the speaker through the boot into the truck and then make my connection. My opinion is why not start off with new wire if you've gone to that much trouble.

My high/low wire broke in half in my tilt wheel from moving the steering wheel up & down over the years. This caused the headlights to turn off when I put the wheel in the down position and back on when up. I just soldered the wire back together but now less than 2 yrs later I'm having the same problem again. When I finally get around to fixing this I will replace with a new wire. Jeff.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:00 PM
bigtoad

i had the same problem with the driver door speaker,i put new speakers in and so far they`ve never acted up yet,only thing i can figure was that the factory speaker was bad

Old 05-30-2008, 04:49 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its the factory amp connected to the speakers, did you know for our dodge amps, the door is rated double the watts, and the amp only puts out half the watts so what i did was rerun the amp wires. so it would be even. but the reason is becasue the amp cuts the power off.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Shawn86
Professional

I gotta say its the wires going through the hole n the door. My window motor kept going out and I thought that it was just testing me cause when ever the door was closed it wouldn't work. when ever I opened the door to attempt to fix it, it worked! Ended up that the wire had just been chewed through at the metel, there was no little ruber grommet thingy. So I just wrapped it up with some electrical tape and painted on some "liquid tape" on the metal for insulation. Haven't had a problem since. I would definitely check there first.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: lastrights

its the factory amp connected to the speakers, did you know for our dodge amps, the door is rated double the watts, and the amp only puts out half the watts so what i did was rerun the amp wires. so it would be even. but the reason is becasue the amp cuts the power off.
I wanted to thank everyone for there responses. I have been very very busy lately. Took my door panel off wednesday. Had work thurs morn, then afriends wedding rehersal on thurs. Work and actual wedding on friday. Camping with my broall saturday and just got back a little bit ago. I might get a chance tonight to cut through that plastic and check out the wire situation. As far as lastrights comment, I do not have a factory amp, altho your input is appreciated. I'll be sure to update ya guys when I figure it out.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Turns out it was the speaker after all. I straped one of my room stereo speakers to the floor on the passenger side. Works like a charm for now LOL.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Not that anyone cares, I ran out to wallmart and picked up some pioneer 6x9's and threw em in. As some have said before, the center of the speaker (forgive my ignorance ... the tweeter?) sticks out pretty far, but in my case it was no big deal. When I threw the panel back on to test fit, it was right up against the door, but the door does not bulge. They sound decent as well. The only thing that has me torqued, is those damn plastic things that hold the door panel to the door. I drove out to dodge to pick some up. Yes, I was figured I was gonna get raped a little with the price. But when one of thosepeople behind the countercame out and said 6.35 a pop, I laughed at him. hmm... about 11 per door at 6.35 = 70 ish??+ tax, not to mention the other door still. Haha.. 140 dollars for those plastic pieces. Dodge can kiss my white **** on that one. Went down to napa and they threw some on order for me. 15 / box at about 10 dollars a box. Shoot, I can deal with 10 dollars per door, not 70 per door. I don't know someone who has a door panel removal tool, so when I took the panels off, I just took some electrical tape and wraped it around the end of a flat head screw driver. Pry'd the panel out a bit and found the yellow clip things. Lined up the putty knife and one wack of the hammer takes care of em. We'll see how these new clips turn out. If they don't work out... I guess I just learned a very expensive lesson.

Quick Reply: Pass. side speaker cuts in / out