2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:40 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Inquiry

I'm planning to buy an HID kit for my truck. I have the sport addition, which means it has 9004 bulbs for highbeams, and 9007 bulbs for lowbeams. If I were to buy a bi-xenon kit that included low/high, would this mean I'd only be using one bulb? Would this also mean that one of the sockets in the headlights will not be effective? I just want to make sure I'm buying the right set-up. They have 9007 bi-xenon kits on ebay that are hi/low that accomodate 9004 for highbeams. This is what I want, right? Thanks!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:23 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HID Inquiry

Bi Xenon means it has the high and low in one bulb. Basically for the sport headlights to have it setup how it is now you need a 9004 kit and a 9007 kit.

However I seriously thought about putting HID's in my truck and got very close to ordering them but the more I read the more it seemed like a bad idea unless you do a retrofit. Seems like people say these trucks headlights don't work to well with the HID's unless you do a retrofit. You don't want a ton of glare from the headlights as not only will they suck in the truck you will blind everyone else on the road and it make it not only annoying for other drivers but a lot more likely to get a ticket.

From what I read it seems like unless you do a retro fit don't do them and just get a good halogen bulb. I'm not ready to drop the cash on a retro fit and don't have the skills to do it myself I don't think so I decided to just stick with a good halogen bulb.

Here is a thread I started on HID planet about HID's where they said these Rams don't respond well at all to them. I also posted on other forums too. I've heard a few happy people but it seems like you really need to modify the headlights or do a retrofit to have them even halfway decent. IF you aren't going to do that I wouldn't get HID's.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...amp;highlight=

Guys on this site seem to know what they are doing.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Viper37
Banned

I just did a Hi-low retrofit on my Ram. Read my thread: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1322324/tm.htm

I dont have any glare issues with mine. I aimed both headlights down, and my drivers side headlight to the right, and I've had no problems.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:35 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I just have the projection headlight setup that you can buy on ebay for fairly cheap...depending on your idea of cheap and I just ran the hid's into it and they work great and I went in and even got them tested to see if they were legal, they re-aimed them and said they were perfect. ever since I have had no problem seeing at night and havent been blinding other cars either. I think if you go for the hid's go ahead and do it right and invest in the projections before you do it, much nicer and its only 150 or so for the headlight housings, which is much better than the fines of up to $1000 in most states... just a suggestion

Old 06-01-2008, 10:47 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: 98cherryram

I just have the projection headlight setup that you can buy on ebay for fairly cheap...depending on your idea of cheap and I just ran the hid's into it and they work great and I went in and even got them tested to see if they were legal, they re-aimed them and said they were perfect. ever since I have had no problem seeing at night and havent been blinding other cars either. I think if you go for the hid's go ahead and do it right and invest in the projections before you do it, much nicer and its only 150 or so for the headlight housings, which is much better than the fines of up to $1000 in most states... just a suggestion
All aftermarket HID kits are illegal doesn't matter if you put them in projector headlights or not. A lot of aftermarket projectors seem to be junk anyway and not work well with HID's either you really need to do a retro fit to do it right although projector headlights may work slightly better than stock headlights.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this is bringing back a one month (and a bit more) old thread, but I just ordered my HID kit. I will see how they work with my aftermarket one-piece headlights and get back to you guys.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Did you get your HID's installed? Which kit did you go with?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 AM
ram833
Question

i have had HID's in my last three cars including now my 97 ram i have yet to get pulled over with them. im questioning how illegal they are considering they come from the factory on alot of newer cars?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

They are only legal from the factory. It is illegal to add them to your car plain and simple. When they come from the factory they have projectors in there that help aim them. They are not meant to be in halogen housings and don't have the same cut off they do with projectors and scatter the light everywhere hence why they blind people more. Because soo many people were just throwing them in halogen headlights and not doing a proper retrofit and putting projectors for the HID's inside the housings is probably why they are illegal.

They basically are only legal if they come on the car from the factory. If you add them they are illegal.

I don't think a proper retrofit should be illegal however too many people just throw them in and don't do this.

BTW just because you haven't gotten pulled over doesn't mean they aren't illegal. We went for years with a loud Invidia exhaust on our 96 Honda without getting stopped for it and only got it mentioned once when I got stopped for speeding. He ended up letting me off with a warning for both. However finally a my mother was driving it and got a ticket for it. However in the years past no one had gotten pulled over for it.

There are lots of cases like that where will you get a ticket? Most likely not. However, is it legal? No.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, my first bug with the new forum: it will not "remember me", I have to log in every time I open the site in a new window. Other than that, so far I like the change.

My HIDs aren't here yet. Bought from what seems to be a reputable guy on eBay.

He sent them slower (and cheaper) than what his auction claimed, and he took two or three days to ship when his auction said one day to ship. The guy stated 2-3 day Priority Mail on his auction, then sent them 4-6 day Parcel Post. I'm going to have an email word with him after they get here, because its been three days since purchase and email to him with what kelvin temperature I wanted. If I don't get some $$$ back because of the slow shipping (much slower than was clearly stated on his auction page), bad feedback city.

If I had stock headlamps, I wouldn't be getting HIDs. But because of my very different aftermarket headlamps (the reflector inside is very different, anyway), I want to try them out. Hopefully later this week.

Quick Reply: HID Inquiry