2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnaflow Cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnaflow Cat

If I get a Magnaflow univeral cat like the ones for $70-80 or whatever from Summit Racing and have it welded in will it set off the check engine lights? I know no cat will but will those univeral ones? I got under to check out how it looked and noticed that the o2 sensors are in the pipe before and after the convertor so can they just cut the old one out and weld the new one in? I'm trying to avoid any check engine lights. What size will I need to get? Do I need a 3" in out cat? Anyone got a link to what I need? I looked for a bolt on one but Summit lists one at $500 and some. The ones I've seen others post about are only for up to 00 or 99 or something. I don't really care to have a bolt on one anyway as the back of my cat has a pipe welded to it so I'd have to get it cut off and rewelded on anyway so minus well just get a universal one if they are just as good. Will This setup be legal if I have one of these welded in? Are there any better brands to look at?

I know if I take the cat out it will more than likely set off a check engine light so thats hwy I'm wondering if one of these cats will.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnaflow Cat

Let me know what turns up. I will be doing this, this summer. I would have last summer, but the lack of info to cross referencea cat for the 01'sleft a little less than desired. I called magnaflow and that was no help either. Wish ya luck

Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 01DodgeRam360 has one of these things on his truck before it was gutted so maybe he can tell me what I need and whats up. Not sure if he will know on the CEL though as it seemed like the bad 02 sensors threw codes but didn't set that off on his truck. Maybe sometimes up with his CEL. Thats how it seems.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine didn't throw a CEL, but I had heard of it happening so I bought a O2sim just to be safe.

Check your current cat out carefully and check the exhaust pipe diameter. My truck had 3" exhaust stock, but the cat knuckled down to 2.5" I had the exhaust shop cut out the 2.5 and put in a magnaflow universal 3". Cost me $190 total with labor and taxes.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:51 AM
machine2099

Check this out. Cheapest place I could find.http://www.discountperformanceautopa...&Itemid=37
I called magnaflow today about a direct fit cat for my 99 ram, 360, 4wd. The guy gave me a part # of 90437 and said that one will work. He also said all magnaflow cats are high flow and this one comes with an O2 sensor. He also said I dont need an O2 simulator. My cat has duel in single out and im pretty sure so do the 2001's. Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Be careful. If there is a Y-pipe before the cat (the cat is si/so), then you need a 3" cat. Some 2001s are that way. The si/so aren't in listed as a "fitting" part normally. I told my muffler guy about it, and he blew me off until he got the truck up and looked at it from underneath. He then revised my estimate (cheaper) and got the job done.

So far, I think I've only seen some 2001s as having the different, larger exhaust.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:44 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, and mine has been on there for a couple thousand miles now, no CEL.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was just a universal Car Sound (magnaflow) cat off ebay. I had it welded in and had a new o2 bung welded in and no cel. I will say though it was a 2.5 and the guy said a 3" would have been "easier"

Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 AM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

No,a universal converter will not throw a CEL as long as it is an OBII cat.

The summit one will be fine.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM
securtis12
Professional

I have the direct fit magnaflow on mine (yes I had to cut the pipe after the cat on the old one I just clamped the new one in) and no problems with cel or any codes. PLus better sound and more power.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cat