2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing wiper switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
kowboydmac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing wiper switch

Well I got one at the junkyard. No Idea if it'll work better, but couldn't be much worse, lol. It was a good deal, 50 bucks for an entire dash (minus the cap which i dont need), dakota glove box, wiper switch and a piece of the dakota door handle we'd been missing.

Mine is a 1996. Figure they changed wiper screws??

Old 06-26-2008, 03:55 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

Do you think I may need a t handle with a torx end? I don't want to spend money on something that won't work, cause I really don't see a star pattern under there.

ARgh my truck is a pain sometimes. lol.

yeahhhhh ok here's the problem.

there's so much dirt and dust in there, I shined my light just so, and saw the edges for the star pattern. I just dont have anything that goes up in there that far. all my torx's are bits. guess i need that t handle after all.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you need a long skinny torx to get up in there. maybe a 20. do you need the size ?
once you get the screws out of the bottom, the next challenge will be to separate the top and bottom covers. they have a catch thats difficult. be gentle with them, i broke mine

Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

are all modern age car plastic interior's this delicate or is just a dodge thing?

my 1975 nova had better, more durable plastic than this lol.

course it may have harmful stuff in it, but idk.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 AM
kowboydmac
All Star

Ok well I got mine out, and swapped in the junkyard one.

That one doesn't work.

It hooks up and all that, but the wipers and blinkers don't work.

Now, the weird part.

I put my original back in and tested it to see if it works.

And it works better than before. It didn't turn the wipers on when it snapped back into position, and the hi and low's work, whereas previously only one setting no matter where the switch was positioned.

I've read previous posts, dhvaughan especially, about getting the intermittent wipers to work and to get them to go back into "park" once you turn the wiper's off. Mine stay put wherever I turn them off at, and the intermittents do not work.

Would like to know some updates because the prior threads were over a year old with no clear cut answers.

P.S. My power window fuse, #13, is in good shape. lol.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you got a haynes manual ? in it (and probably the 2001 service manual in the diy) is a procedure to test all functions of the multifunction swith using an ohm meter. you do have to remove the switch, but it tells which pins to test, as well as the resistence on the intermittent wiper control. i did this test with mine, and it tested ok, but a new one was only $42 at autozone so i just put in a new one anyway. i tested it as well, and got the same results as my original.

the intermitents operate on the low speed motor winding. so as long as your low speeds work, intermittents should to.

intermitent control varys by year. i don't know anything about your 96, but it has a control somewhere under the dash. my 01 is controlled by the CTM.

regardless of where the control module is, if you verify the multifunction switch, and test for voltage at the relays, then the intemittent control should be clicking that low speed wiper relay with 12 volts, and then the 12 volts should be showing up at the wiper motor.

if you can't trace it down, pm forum member, parts/service, and ask him where its at on your truck.

if the wipers are not "parking", test for 12 volts on the park circuit. if present, you may be ready for a new wiper motor. back to the junk yard...

Quick Reply: Changing wiper switch