2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Runnin Stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Runnin Stacks?

do you think a cop is going to pull a person over that has stacks.. I'm mean that's just asing for an *** whoopin!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want a semi get your cdl's and start trucking. personally i think that stacks on a pick upare the stupidest thing ever. i wishthey would outlaw them everywhere.

EDIT....sorry i dont usually post things like that. i just get mad everytime i see a truck with stacks in the bed. especially the guy that lives across town with a stack on his v6ram.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What he might be talking about is how the new diesels have the particulate filter near the tip that burns off any soot in the exhaust so that there is no more black diesel smoke. You can't convert this type of system to stacks from what I recall. I doubt this applies to the older style exhaust systems.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:34 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

i know this is stupid but.... has anyone put stacks on a gas engine? and if so do you gain any hp or mpg?

Old 07-20-2008, 05:49 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

im thinking no back pressure. and you need some.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:18 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEVER run stacks on a gas.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Visious 318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run stacks in any state but on the black smoke issue any desiel that blows black smoke is just wasting fuel and the black smoke is a resalt of the exsess deisel being burned in the exhuast manifold not in the cylander. This has been proved by Gail Banks.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: talon6

im thinking no back pressure. and you need some.
That's a common misconception. You do not need any back pressure, none, nada, zero. Long tube headers actually make a vacuum to help pull exhaust gasses out of the cylinder and reload it with a fresh A/F mixture. What you do need is exhaust velocity. You've got to get the exhaust pulses to clear the tail pipe before the next pulse hits it.

A common misunderstanding is that too big of a tail pipe hurts performance because there's no back pressure. What actually happens is the pipe expands too much and the gasses cool and slow down before they exit the tail pipe and cause turbulence and bottlenecking in the system. What you want is the right size of exhaust tubing to get the gasses out at the correct velocity not too small to cause backpressure, not to big to cause excessive cooling and lost velocity. As you build up an engine, you actually might gain performance by stepping up the size of your exhaust system. I saw a chart somewhere that had recommendations for exhaust diameter based on what HP you were making at the crank. Something along the lines of 1/2" increase for every 100hp made over stock.

Another good way to keep velocity and improve system scavenging is to have the entire exhaust system ceramic coated inside and out. It isn't cheap, but it'll net you some gains over a plain system.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

gotcha. i wish i had just some of the knowlege some of you guys do on here.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9R1U...eature=relateda guy on you tube with 5.2 liter gas engine, it sounds pretty badass, couldent amagine how it would sound with a 5.9 with headers and cat lol

Quick Reply: Runnin Stacks?