2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting from gas to hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Converting from gas to hydrogen

ORIGINAL: Machine71

What some people are doing is making a canister that they fill with water, then they put in some kind of stainless steel thing that they put a charge to and the water releases its hydrogen.
Thats called electrolysis. Two stainless steel (or platinum) ends and DC. Oxygen bubbles form at the negative end, hydrogen at the positive. Anything else but stainless steel or platinum will not give you a pure reaction, and you'll get other gasses instead of hydrogen and oxygen.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh, and the formula does not give a HHO molecule, although I'm sure many would call it that. Its...

Two water molecules -> Two hydrogen molecules (H2) + one Oxygen (O2) molecule.

From what I've read on the subject, the amount of electricity needed to give you enough hydrogen from electrolysis to make a big difference in MPGs is too much. The alternator supposedly won't give you enough to convert completely to hydrogen, or if you push the ration to far it'll suck to much from the battery and the alternator can't keep up.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

So you can use it for small amounts of hydrogen, I suppose.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:47 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If it was feasible, the big automakers would already be doing it to squeeze out extra MPGs and get the EPA off their backs, as well as attracting more consumers.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Visious 318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason.w

If it was feasible, the big automakers would already be doing it to squeeze out extra MPGs and get the EPA off their backs, as well as attracting more consumers.
In saying that I say THey sould but don't. We all know that a manual tranny will get you more milage but every dealer around here you have to speical order the truck just to get one with/out a slip-o-matic aka autotragic

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The reason that they don't do manuals anymore is because people were willing to pay for the convenience. It has nothing to do with whether they should or not for better MPGs. I was reading a study the other day, and found that approximately ninety some percent of people in the United States don't know how to drive an auto with a manual transmission.

The CVT will get you better mileage than a manual. Or at least, thats what everyone claims. A lot of Dodge models are going to that unit now.

Other automakers also claim that their newer automatics are so well tuned, they will get better mileage than a manual now-a-days. I have no experience to tell you whether thats true or not.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Machine71
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason.w

Oh, and the formula does not give a HHO molecule, although I'm sure many would call it that. Its...

Two water molecules -> Two hydrogen molecules (H2) + one Oxygen (O2) molecule.

From what I've read on the subject, the amount of electricity needed to give you enough hydrogen from electrolysis to make a big difference in MPGs is too much. The alternator supposedly won't give you enough to convert completely to hydrogen, or if you push the ration to far it'll suck to much from the battery and the alternator can't keep up.
I read the link Visious posted and I think those are pretty decent gains.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amount of heat it requires to burn... The cost of materials to build and maintain... Youtube is the cutting edge engineering site? I'm tellin ya, free methane injection! Mythbusters did a spot on what you are suggesting. You should look into alternatives to the internal combustion engine instead.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
CySlyde
Professional

I always laugh at this... it seems everyone starts off with $20~30 worht of stuf, and claim OMG i got a little gain. then they talk about how they read this or that, or saw the new video. so they do one thing than another and another till they get $200~$500 into thier "system". two common themes are lots of little "tweaks" to "trick" the computer to run the engine leaner (this can be very very hard on an engine). many also eventually do a tune up (plugs and wires) leading me to believe that either A) it's damaging the plugs running the engine this way. or B) the vehicle probably could have been doing better the first place by doing the tune up before all this rigamarole.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Visious 318
Professional

you say look inside the engine for more milage Ok heads $780 x2, K-Kit $580, Pistons $600 headers $480, and all for what milage and hp gains. I'd rather spend $250 and get more milage.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Converting from gas to hydrogen