2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Cruise Control not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
seamus7227
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cruise control also went out several months ago and as it turns out, it was a broken vacuum line just under my battery that connects to the cruise control solenoid. So for around $5 i bought a replacement vacuum hose, fixed it, and now it works like a champ!

But now that someone above mentioned that about their a/c venting to the defrost vents due to a vacuum leak, im gonna have to see if that same problem that i was having is now rectified!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
petea216
Professional

I realize this is an old thread, but since it's been ressurected, it made me remember that since I got my truck, the cruise hasn't worked. The lights in the steering wheel cruise control buttons don't illuminate or anything. The horn works though (If that changes anything) I read something about a "clock spring" earlier in the thread and they mentioned it also caused an air bag light to come on. I have no air bag light on. There was a link posted to what someone did to get theirs working better, but that's from the older version of the steering wheel controls, it doesn't really help. I love cruise but gave up when I began the 4x4 project, it'd be nice to have it working. Any direction I should take? Pull the steering wheel off?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Does the 98 have an indicator that tells you when the cruise is on, even though it is not set? If so, does THAT light go out???

Might be as simple as a brake switch adjustment.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 AM
petea216
Professional

I'm not sure, I've never seen it work. Following a wiring diagram, and checking everything along the line it looks like I may have to pull my steering wheel.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM
scott_one

When I first got my truck I had the same problem with my cruise not working. Turned out to be the wires under the steering column, where it tilts, were broke. Probably from the tilting I assume. Repaired the wires and it has worked fine ever since. Maybe an issue with others too.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 AM
petea216
Professional

Originally Posted by scott_one
When I first got my truck I had the same problem with my cruise not working. Turned out to be the wires under the steering column, where it tilts, were broke. Probably from the tilting I assume. Repaired the wires and it has worked fine ever since. Maybe an issue with others too.
Oh, That's something to look into! I'll be going under there soon to begin wiring the roof lights, I'll be certain check that out. Anything to look for in particular? (ie: color of the wires, separate harness, etc?)

Old 02-16-2020, 01:52 AM
Doc Mcallister

95 318 Dakota Having strange problems with idling sometimes it runs fine and drives fine idles fine and then sometimes it idols terrible you pull up to the stop sign slow down and stop and it will die and it’s very difficult to restart any ideas

Old 02-16-2020, 07:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Mcallister
95 318 Dakota Having strange problems with idling sometimes it runs fine and drives fine idles fine and then sometimes it idols terrible you pull up to the stop sign slow down and stop and it will die and it’s very difficult to restart any ideas
So post in the 1st gen Dakota section, not the 2nd gen ram section.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 PM
StealthRam

I might be beating a dead horse here. 2001 Ram, so i'm in the right section at least. Cruise worked for awhile, then one day cut out mid drive. Cruise turns light on dash, but set does nothing, neither does anything else. I checked vacuum for leaks or cracks, but i'm getting good vacuum at the module by the battery when running. No bad fuses or anything on it, and this seems to be the last headache on the old boy. I appreciate y'all's help.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthRam
I might be beating a dead horse here. 2001 Ram, so i'm in the right section at least. Cruise worked for awhile, then one day cut out mid drive. Cruise turns light on dash, but set does nothing, neither does anything else. I checked vacuum for leaks or cracks, but i'm getting good vacuum at the module by the battery when running. No bad fuses or anything on it, and this seems to be the last headache on the old boy. I appreciate y'all's help.
If you have a good vacuum and the light turns in you have one of the following:
Bad wiring
Bad Servo

Quick Reply: Cruise Control not working