2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Airhat

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by padodgeram
am i here...LOL...yes i am..
i tested the open AC , airaid cai , K&N cai , and stock box .
14x3 had some lag with it when i punch the throttle (now 14x3 should be the max height )
CAI less lag
stock box no lag (rember: the boys at dodge has to be doing something right to have that design there , how much does that stock box flow ?? compared to the cai , 14x3 ?? )

unless you change the heads , valves , cam , intake , TB to let more air in your not getting the full effect of the 14x3 AC .

just changing the TB , RR 1.7 the stock box will flow more then enough ..
+1
Cant believe that slipped my mind. Just putting on a new airhat or what-have-you, is just like turning your engine into a funnel. Sure its nice and open at the top, but as soon as you hit your TB airflow just becomes tighter and tighter.
Good call PA

Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My results were the opposite. The stock box didn't have any lag off the line, but the Airaid CAI and the FIPK both did. The round filter had no lag either, and noticably outperformed the stock box on both the low end and high end. I kinda suspect my altitude (live at almost 7000 ft, and drive regularly at over 9000ft) has something to do with this, which is why I will stick with the round filter. Still the best in my book.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I still can't get over how great the air breather looks. I just installed the K&N filter with it, and it looks even better. I love the space I get in the engine, and the look of the mopar lid looks very custom. In regards to power, I didn't notice a huge gain over the FIPK, but it defiantly sucks up more. Around 4,000 rpms I can really start to feel it dig in an extra push, not to mention, sounds great. It sure as heck doesn't perform worse than the K&N, so I can live with that because it just looks so awesome. I'm very happy I gave it another stab before sending it back.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

01DodgeRam360, glad you like it. I would have guessed that you wouldn't have liked the sound of the new filter. You seem like you like things more on the refined side, so I figured this would be too noisy for you. Is that not bothering you?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the sound it's the biggest thing that bothers me however I've learned to put up with it. I almost went back to stock because of that sound. It's way louder than my exhaust lol.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a CAI , ram air..

Last edited by padodgeram; 09-03-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
01DodgeRam360, glad you like it. I would have guessed that you wouldn't have liked the sound of the new filter. You seem like you like things more on the refined side, so I figured this would be too noisy for you. Is that not bothering you?
I actually really like the way it sounds, I don't mind that nice throaty nice coming from the engine. It's the drone of my exhaust that bothers me. Just last year I loved it, but I've recently aquired a dislike for it for some reason. I bought the magnaflow muffler and put the exhaust out the back in hopes it would equal out the drone, but it didn't. It's not nearly as loud as the flowmaster super 44, but it drones just as much. I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy another magnaflow cat to deaden that drone. Just a little sad because I got rid of my super 44. Anyways, love the intake performance and look wise, just can't get over how great it looks in the engine bay. Your engine pictures defiantly inspired me, I really want those mopar valve covers now.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

ahhh yes, if only we all could have an engine bay like Silvers. He truely is an insperation to engine bays out there, and I easily hate him for it i want mine that clean. I know I know, i could clean it, but common if i did i couldnt complain like this. Congrats on the filter 01Dodgeram360.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Haha you got that right! And thank you, glad to be in the airhat club. I guess it's a consensus on this forum that the Fastman is well worth the money, so I suppose as some point I should do that. Theoretically, it should compliment the intake, headers, and exhaust quite nicely.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha you got that right! And thank you, glad to be in the airhat club. I guess it's a consensus on this forum that the Fastman is well worth the money, so I suppose as some point I should do that. Theoretically, it should compliment the intake, headers, and exhaust quite nicely.

+1

Quick Reply: Mopar Airhat