2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plowing truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy crap... this is an old thread! hahahah.. wonder if that kid ever got a plow truck! hahahaha

Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM
RangerMateo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Snafu
All 2nd gen 3500's have dual rear wheels. I personally like them, but it's a little much for a begining driver to handle. Also, with double the tires, you have roughly half the traction in the snow. Relatively the same weight, but twice the tire area, so half the downward pressure on the ground. I'd go 2500 in your situation.
Seriously? Ff=Fn * Mu, everyday of the week.

There would be some other considerations of a narrower tire (read: less surface area) would create a high PSI on the snow/ice/water and be able to cut it's way to the pavement more effectively...but as far as frictional force goes, it is independent of surface area and pressure. Depends only on how hard the ground pushes up (The normal force) and the frictional coefficient between the two surfaces. Also leads into a good discussion on anti-skid and why it's a bad idea to spin your tires in the snow...

I'm not trying to argue that dually's are better for snow, or aren't any worse...just that this isn't the governing principle behind it.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

Dual wheels BLOW.. blah blah.. na na.. ok seriously.. I actually almost bought a Dually Ram 2500.. It needed a rear fender extension, and the interior was pretty fried, but it wasn't bad otherwise.. Now I wish I would have bought it.. Although I think it was more than I needed, and tires for that would have killed me..

Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimkDaAdtman
Dual wheels BLOW.. blah blah.. na na.. ok seriously.. I actually almost bought a Dually Ram 2500.. It needed a rear fender extension, and the interior was pretty fried, but it wasn't bad otherwise.. Now I wish I would have bought it.. Although I think it was more than I needed, and tires for that would have killed me..
but look what yr riding now...but you dont know how that truck would have done

Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Kindschi
Veteran

Boss's 99 3500 does awesome in the snow. We dont get it by the foot but last year in 4+ inches it did just fine. I pulled a couple cars outta the ditch's along the highways with it and it never struggled. Its stock height and stock tire size.

Quick Reply: Plowing truck