2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM
rockarmymedic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Help

I have a 94 1500 4x4 5.2L. When the A/C is on and you put the engine under a load(ie) going up hill the A/C goes from coming out of the vents to coming out of the defrost. When the load diminishes you can hear a clank inside the dash and then the A/C comes out of the vents again. Any ideas?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a vacuum leak? I know my heat did this and it was because I had a vacuum leak. I'm not sure if it does it with A/C too but my guess would be that it does since these are the exact same symptoms I had only with A/C instead of heat.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 PM
rockarmymedic

Thats what I had suspected. Any ideas where to look for it at or where to start looking?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

common problem. check the vacuum lines for breaks, incuding cruise line. if they're ok, replace the quarter size check valves in the vac lines.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/170881-is-this-it.html

Old 08-08-2008, 06:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the 2 check valves in the accessory tree that comes off the intake manifold. one is right where it connects to the intake. The 2nd is father up the line, in the tee near the firewall.

Both check valves are the round thick part of the connection and have rubber boots on both sides. They simply pull apart.

There is also a vac line that runs under the battery tray that occasionally splits due to corrosive fumes from the battery

Old 08-08-2008, 06:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

dang, vaughan beat me.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:34 PM
rockarmymedic
Default Thanks you all

Thanks you all I will check and replace them all when I change the engine. She started white smoking from the right tail pipe on the drive home. Only has 205009 original miles on the motor. I guess the Japs arent the only ones who can build an engine. LOL

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

Before you do a rebuild there is a couple of things you can do. First do a compression check to see if you have one or more cylinders and or valves that are bad. I have a feeling that you may have a bad head gasket since you said white smoke and not blue smoke which would indicate bad rings as oil is bypassing them. I realize that at 205009 miles your engine is getting tired but if it still has good power then maybe if it is a head gasket then it is a cheaper fix and can be done with the engine in the truck And if you do replace a head gasket then you will have the intake manifold off and that would be a good time to replace any vaccum line issues you may be having.