2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Please--battery died, now RPMs drop and truck stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cngizbleevng
I always thought the battery was just used in getting a car started, so I'm surprised to hear all the replies saying the battery could still be the culprit in all this. I guess the proof will come when I replace it again.
Save yourself some money. Go get a hydrometer and test the electrolyte SG. If it's low, then take the battery to service station or auto-electric place and have it deep charged until the SG is good. You can't really troubleshoot one of these modern electrical systems with a discharged or bad battery.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the battery is good... it also sounds like a bad Distributor Cap or Rotor.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 PM
cngizbleevng
Amateur

Update:

I drove the truck for about 80 miles and the problem still persists. The instrument panel shows the battery as having more than 14V power.

The stalling seems to occur when I let off the gas too fast. If the RPMs drop too suddenly, they'll go down to zero and the truck stalls. If I give a little tap on the throttle as the RPMs are dropping, it seems to keep from stalling.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Well, if you feel that the battery is in good condition, then start checking the ignition and fuel systems. If you don't have a factory service manual, Haynes manual, etc., I strongly suggest that you get one.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Rebel1

Hello,
Nice try guys but I have experienced exactly this issue. After my 1994 1500 4x4 5.2L was serviced at a Dodge dealership I drove a few blocks and the truck stalled at a traffic light. It wanted to stall at idle or deceleration. When I got back to the dealership the tech "reprogrammed" the computer. No problems since then. They had disconnected the battery during servicing and some modified programming had been lost. Since the dealership knew exactly what to do I suggest getting your truck to yours and have the same done. I have not found out what parameters they changed but if I do I will post it! Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
cngizbleevng
Amateur

So if a reprogramming is needed is this gonna cost me a bundle, and will it happen everytime the battery is disconnected?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's what i think. if you can keep the truck running by keeping slight pressure on the gas pedal at about 1000 rpm, while braking with your left, then you have a bad IAC which can be replaced for $40-50. as far as rebel1's dealership reprogramming issue, they probably forgot to plug in the iac and made up that story because it sounded better. i've disconnected my battery a 100 times w/o losing any permanent programming. i've also replaced my iac several times because they go bad and/or i get bad new ones from the parts store.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
cngizbleevng
Amateur

Ok, I plead ignorance here... What's an IAC?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The IAC is the Idle Air Control valve, it's the black round thing located on the back of the throttle body.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when your foot is completely off the gas, then the throttle plate closes up, and no air can get past. the iac is a port and valve that bypasses the closed plate. the amount it opens is controlled by the computer, and determines the idle speed, which is about 1000 rpm at cold idle and 600 at warm. the iac is a little stepper motor with a pintle on the end. when the pintle runs in, it closes up the air port. when it runs out, it opens it up. when it screws up, the truck won't idle right. as a test - when you lay your foot on the gas pedal and open up the plate a little, then the engine gets air through the open plate and the iac becomes meaningless.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/140607-why-does-the-iac-fail-so-frequently.html

Quick Reply: Help Please--battery died, now RPMs drop and truck stalls