2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny shift ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 AM
lifesavin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took my 99 Ram 2500 in for a CEL. It came up as the governor solenoid and pressure sensor. The shop wants 600+ tax to install. Does this seem about right or a bit high? I am in the Seattle, WA area.

Andy

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lifesavin
I just took my 99 Ram 2500 in for a CEL. It came up as the governor solenoid and pressure sensor. The shop wants 600+ tax to install. Does this seem about right or a bit high? I am in the Seattle, WA area.

Andy
ARE YOU JOKING?!?!? RUN! RUN! They are making at least 400 dollars in pure profit off that job. After parts, after fluid, after labor, they are putting 400 bucks in their pocket.

I wouldnt spend over 300, parts labor and fluid.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:33 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

took it in to see what codes would display and none of course they said she runs great for the miles on it 160k... but they said 6out of 10 dodge trucks have a problem with the governor pressure sensor and govornor sensor he said replace both at the same time 225-250 i can do it myself for cheaper but the parts store said there is no governor sensor just a gov. pressure sensor would it be the goveror solenoid and a gov. pressure sensor...... the parts are priced good at napa just wanna know the exact names of these so i can get this right .......but like i said everything test out fine no codes but it still has a prob shifting only in the morning....thanx jay

Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

The solenoid and sensor wont always throw a light.

There are two pieces that you need to replace. Governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the torque specs of the sensor and solenoid and pan so i do this right and how do i know which are which thanks ...j

Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Alright.. i have no pictures so here we go.

After you pull the pan down and the filter the sensor and solenoid will be on the passenger side. First unhook the solenoid and sensor from the harness. Then you need to remove the 4 11mm (7/16) bolts from the aluminum "Block" the solenoid sits in. Also remove the two 27 torx head screws. Then the entire block will come down (may need to slide it sideways or tap it a little). If you have the early style there will be a clip on the underside of the block holding in the sensor, remove it and the sensor replace with new sensor and put replace clip. If you have the late style you need to pull the solenoid and metal cover up before you can remove the sensor. To remove the solenoid just pull it out the metal cover will come with it. To replace the solenoid you have to slide the metal cover around the solenoid and push back in together. Its a good idea to replace the gasket between the block and the valve body.

Torque the 11mm bolts to 120inlbs, torque the two 27 torx screws to 45inlbs. Reconnect the solenoid and sensor to the harness. Torque pan bolts to 90inlbs. If you dont have a reusable pan gasket it would be a good idea to put a new one on, Farpak makes the best pan gaskets. Also throw a new filter in there while youve got it down.

Last edited by MonteC; 09-28-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 PM
ma929tt

Is there someplace online that I can buy the governor pressure solenoid and sensor? Thanks for the writeup...

Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 PM
xray99
Banned

Bumping this old thread for the sake of info.
It pays to look around, get out the yellow pages and look at transmissions.
This is separate for the general auto parts sections.
I found a place just miles from me that had them both for $110, don't know if they do mail order but most areas should have a similar specialty shop.
http://tinyurl.com/p7t4vg

Found them on ebay for $127 + shipping.
NAPA had them, $114 for the sensor and $98 for the solenoid.
So it pays to look around.

Quick Reply: tranny shift ?