2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny shift ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:23 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny shift ?

hey guys i havent disappeared just been ruffin it lately my pc took a **** so im lookin for a new one...... so in the morn when i start my truck and leave i notice that when she goes to shift into 3rd gear it rides out in the rpms so i let off the gas and it shifts i know its not normal is there a vac line loose or an adjustment that can be made so that it shifts right in this spot it doesnt happen in other gears or after it warms up the fluids are good im just hoping it not taking a dump thats the last thing i need right now any of you techs help me out it will be a hit or miss when im on here so ill check in when i can...... thanx in advance

Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Governor pressure sensor and solenoid.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

pls explain tranny talk is new to me whats that gonna cost and how easy is it to do or is that something a tranny shop needs todo

Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

The Governor pressure solenoid and sensor were added to RWD chrysler transmissions in 95 or 96. They replace the mechanical Governor that was on the tailshaft. Making Governor pressure (controls upshifts), electrically controlled instead of mechanical.

These two commonly fail, sometimes throwing an engine code, sometimes not. Its a pretty easy job. Just drop the pan, unplug the solenoid and sensor, drop the little solenoid block (4 bolts), remove the clip holding in the sensor, you have to pull the solenoid and metal plate off together. Then reinstall the new sensor with the clip, then install the metal hold down plate and solenoid together, bolt the block back to the valvebody with a new gasket to 90-120inlbs. Reinstall the pan with new filter and gasket, fill with fluid and youre done.

Be sure to note what the bottom of the pan looks like (metal debris, crud or buildup), also look at the magnet.

You should be able to buy a new solenoid, sensor, filter and pan gasket for under 200 bucks.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:53 PM
96DodgeRam_08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could this be what is causing mine not to shift? It just takes off it 3rd.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:03 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 96DodgeRam_08
Could this be what is causing mine not to shift? It just takes off it 3rd.
Probably not. The solenoid and sensor are usually related to weird shifting problems, not loss of gears. But you never know.

I asked you a few questions in your thread that will help with diagnosis.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

Anyone agree with this i wanna make sure b4 i just jump into this im leary bout trannys

Old 08-31-2008, 09:21 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

Btw are u a tech or diy like myself no offense just askn

Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jusjay727
Btw are u a tech or diy like myself no offense just askn
Broken transmissions pay my bills.

Those two pieces i mentioned are very common to cause shifting problems. But there are no vacuum adjustments. There is a mechanical linkage that goes from the TB to the throttle valve, and make sure the throttle valve return spring is still on (may have popped off. That would cause more problems.). If you have never messed with the linkage then chances are it is still in proper adjustment. But you can check it just to be sure.

If the cable is fine and those two electronic pieces are not to blame then the problem is going to be internal, most likely valvebody. I havent seen a shop yet that completely disassembles a valvebody. They will either get another used one from a core or just spray brake cleaner on it and throw it back on and hope for the best. There are many valves in this particular unit that are prone to wearing out. The throttle valve is a major one.

Last edited by MonteC; 08-31-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could this be the same thing with me? My truck wont shift out of first at WOT now. Just started happening today.

Quick Reply: tranny shift ?