2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bed Liner Install/Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:59 PM
tigerhornet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed Liner Install/Removal

No, this isn't another question about whether to get a spray-in or a drop-in. If I can get up the money, I am planning to get a Line-X installed. The only thing is, I have a 'roll-on' liner in the bed right now (Duplicolor I think), which is absolute crap. It's cracking, chipping, leaving spots which are rusting, and basically making my truck look like crap. It's probably my fault for not prepping it enough or whatever, but that's a different story.

Anyways, I was wondering how much trouble it would be to get this out? I could probably scrape the bottom out fairly easily, but the sides and whatnot would be harder to get out. Would Line-X charge extra to take this out, or would their prep for regular beds be good enough? I did email my local dealer, but he didn't understand my question, I think he thought that I had a spray-in bedliner already and wanted it to get taken out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Trey318
Captain

Id find out how much Line-X would charge, since I'm sure they'll want extra for the extra preparation for the liner, before you do any scraping yourself. If its not too bad, let them do it. I would guess that Line-x would have to remove the old stuff because if its chipping and cracking, then itll only cause the new stuff to do the same.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get some big HD wire wheels and a big angle grinder and get to work. Linex will already ruin the paint job in the bed as they would need to sand it rough anyway, so don't worry about that. That or they'll just slap down a primer type base anyway over the existing paint job, but the old liner will have to come out.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
tigerhornet

Well, I emailed my local dealer today, he still hasn't replied (prolly cuz it's labor day), but assuming the price is good, i'm prolly gonna do it. As far as taking out the old liner is concerned, I don't own an angle grinder, though i might be able to get a hold of one if i really needed to, plus the way i put on the bedliner, it goes up to the top of the rails, like not on top of them, but on the little lip-type thing that comes off of the rails. As far as i'm thinking, that little lip part would be an absolute pain in the butt to get off with an angle grinder without screwing up the paint on the rails, I still haven't decided if I want to pay the extra money to get over the rails, but it's prolly gonna happen, but still I don't wanna screw up the paint on the rails, I'd rather have them do that right before the spray if needed.

So basically, is there any other way i can strip this crap off? I've looked around and some people say to use brake fluid, some say to use this paint remover paste stuff, what's the best to get it off without having to grind it off? It's really not that thick, just like the thickness of a regular coat of paint you would paint on a table or chair or something like that.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

you tried a pressure washer? that duplicolor stuff is garbage. herculiner/rhino liner is much better

Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

I have had pretty good results using materials like this for cleaning and paint removal:

http://www.ind.nortonabrasives.com/D...00000000004446

Otherwise, I would recommend 4" angle grinder with wire cup.

I wouldn't use paint remover as this will create a terrible mess.

Just make sure you use a dust mask!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

I don't know anything about "Line-X", or how it works. However, I would talk to THEM, and ask what they suggest. They may want you to remove it a certain way. They may prefer to do it themselves, as they may want to control the quality of their product. I don't know.

If you do want to go with the angle grinder, they are not very expensive. Well, they can be, but I'm very happy with the "cheap" Ryobi angle grinders I have, and I use them in construction, they are not "babied".

Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
tigerhornet

Alright, so I got an email back from my local Line-X dealer, $400 for under the rails, $450 for over the rails (might be able to get it cheaper from another dealer, not sure yet), and I'm thinking I'm gonna get the over the rails. I've decided not to use the paint remover stuff, because that probably will make a huge mess, with goop and bed liner all over the place. I don't think I'm gonna need to buy an angle grinder, my grandpa probably has one that I can use. I think I might try those pads, tdrex, if I can find em in any store around here.

I probably will wait until I go to the other Line-x dealer and get an estimate until I take it off though, just to make sure that they won't take it off for me or that they don't want me to take it off in any specific way.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
IceCreamNazi
Professional

Originally Posted by motorbrreath
you tried a pressure washer? that duplicolor stuff is garbage. herculiner/rhino liner is much better
Is Duplicolor that bad? I've heard nothing but good things about it. What don't you like about it Motorbrreath?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
tigerhornet

If my opinion matters, IceCreamNazi, I think it's crap too. As far as it cracking, again, it's probably my fault for not prepping it enough. Besides that though, it's only been about a year, and it's already getting pretty grey, and within a few months of when I installed it (before it was really cracking), I was helping my friend move some stuff, and dragged a speaker or box or something across it, nothing heavy, and it scraped off.

So basically, if you take the time to prep it right, don't drag anything across it, and take the time to put the stuff on it that makes it blacker every year or two, it's not that bad.

Quick Reply: Bed Liner Install/Removal