2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Very Dissapointed with the pacesetters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my shorties did the same thing. They said right on them not high heat paint. I threw them on anyway. I took them off later and painted them with high heat paint. That lasted a little while but look like crap again. I have thought about seeing what my gf's dad would charge me to chrome them. I have seen chrome turn purple after a while though so I'm still not sure what i want to do.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:21 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris, besides the paint wearing off so fast, how do you like the performance of your truck with them? Makes it sound like a different beast doesn't it?

As far as the black paint, it's sole purpose is to keep the actual product protected in storage. It isn't meant to deflect heat whatsoever. I hope your loving the performance though, get some videos up inside and outside the cab of the truck and the exhaust.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

oh yea LOVE the performance. especially with all of it done at once, its beautiful. truck sounds good too. love the drone. ill get some pics and vids up after the show tommrow

that fast man makes it.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah I was stunned with the performance they gave my truck, especially in the midrange department. Makes the truck sound like a nascar too with the long piping and giant collectors, they are defiantly an offroad header, love them. Are you using your stock y-pipe still or do you have open headers, or what is your current exhaust set-up. If your sticking with a single in/dual out muffler, I would defiantly suggest buying the matching y-pipe if you don't already have it. They are prone to leaks if they aren't welded sufficiently, but mine has been snug now since February. Anyway let us know!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

i bought the y pipe that they offered. i got it clamped right now, cause i aint runnin a cat. its total 3' into a 40 flow then out to duals. i aint got a video camera, so im gonna have to borrow my buddies and ill make a video

Old 09-06-2008, 02:31 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

HAHA ok Chris let me know if I'm crazy or not but that's the exact setup I had when I had my headers and y-pipe put in. 3" in/2.5" dual out flowmaster super 44 muffler, no cat. After about 5 months my head was falling off. I bought a 18" magnaflow muffler and put the exhaust out the back, and she still drones all dayy long baby lol. I just bought a magnaflow cat and I'm hoping it will balance the drone out. It's still going to be too loud but I just want the uneeded drone to go away. But let me know how your ears are in about 8 months lol.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:54 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
HAHA ok Chris let me know if I'm crazy or not but that's the exact setup I had when I had my headers and y-pipe put in. 3" in/2.5" dual out flowmaster super 44 muffler, no cat. After about 5 months my head was falling off. I bought a 18" magnaflow muffler and put the exhaust out the back, and she still drones all dayy long baby lol. I just bought a magnaflow cat and I'm hoping it will balance the drone out. It's still going to be too loud but I just want the uneeded drone to go away. But let me know how your ears are in about 8 months lol.

If I can survive no cats through 10 series out the SIDE....I cant immagine how you would get fed up with a 44

Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

CAI, Pacesetter LT's, stock cats, flowmaster 50HD and to me, the sound is just right. Can hold a conversation or hear the stereo when just cruising, but they can hear me coming half a mile away when I get on it...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
haha well man i gotta be able to hear the truck bark or else i dont feel right. i have a full 3' system, dumpin out 4' tips. its loud, but i could deal with it bein louder. I wouldnt like that 44, it aint as loud as the 40 and man do i love the smell with no cats

my buddy lives across a pond from me in the next neghborhood, prolly 400 yards behind me and he can hear me crank up every mornin. So i guess it is loud...

Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Headers vs cast iron manifold
food for thought:

Notice in the 'daily driving'
2500 rpm range the difference in torque
between the 'old style' 340 cast iron manifold
and long primary with step reflectors TTI headers
is only 5 ft-lbs

The 'modern' Magnum cast iron manifolds