2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Very Dissapointed with the pacesetters

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Dissapointed with the pacesetters

Took a look at the headers today after a night of drivin around tryin to get the brain to learn the fastman. All the black paint is gone, and now its bare metal. looks like complete ****.

neon- this happen to you?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sorry I didn't chime in when you said you were getting them! But, as far as what I've read on this forum, those are not the ones I would buy for my truck. Unless I was selling it or plan to replace them in 2 years or so. You get what you pay for you know?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Neon paid extra for the coated ones.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Personally with headers I'd either coat em or put a thermal wrap on them. No experience with the pacesetters, but normal paint just isn't going to stay on a set of headers.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never liked the ideas of Pacesetters. I know I've just heard one after another bad thing about their headers until these long tubes came along and I heard a few good things about these but I'm still weary due to the horrible reputation the others had.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the Pacesetter longtubes that are coated (silver ceramic, I believe) are pretty good. Any header that isn't coated someway is just asking for trouble, IMO.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

yeah thats what i thought. im gonna have to paint em or wrap em. damnit.

i should have spent the extra money, but damn 450 bucks for that + the y is expensive enough already.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

i do LOVE the fast man though...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:01 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I really think you would have been much better off with the coated long tubes. But honestly what can you really expect when you pay the price we did for long tubes, they are cheaper for a reason. I personally like having the pacesetter long tubes versus running shorties, but if I had the money I'd call up southeast rt. I do really hope they don't rust up on you, maybe you can pull them and get them coated. good luck.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Mike Roma
Professional

That's not a "defect", it's to be expected. It's not a Pacesetter thing either. I've had other headers do the same thing. That paint is only to keep the headers from rusting on the shelf. It WILL burn off. Now, it would be nice if they informed people of that in the ads, so you could decide if you want to deal with stripping and refinishing.

Never try painting OVER that paint with high temp paint either. The paint will still burn off, and stink, and take a little longer to make a bigger mess, taking the "good" paint with it. Don't ask how I know.

You can buy Pacesetter long tubes ceramic coated, or you can buy them from Jet Hot who does their own coating process.

Quick Reply: Very Dissapointed with the pacesetters