2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

projector lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 AM
bizlebee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default projector lights

I have ordered a pair of ebay halo projector headlights

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190252425790

this is my first time ever messing with my headlight so i don't know very much about them. What i want to know is that do they have to have a HID conversion kit ( dont really want ) or can i just throw some silverstars ultras in them? anybody want to clear this up for me?

and this is what im working on

Name:  truck.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 09-19-2008, 01:33 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't bother with the Silverstars. Sylvania doesn't make much, if anything, good anymore. Take it from someone who has tried their regular bulbs (burned out in a matter of months... and not even a headlight bulb, but a taillight bulb!), their SilverStars, and the SilverStar Ultras. The GE NightHawks are brighter if you are fond of that yellow-ish type of light.

I used EuroDezigns 8500k bulbs. Nice bright white that outbrights anything made by Sylvania, last longer, and only a slight hint of blue in the housing. Hometheaterman also uses a blue bulb that he likes, can't remember the name of his though. Maybe he will pop on here when he gets a chance and remind me.

You can get the EuroDezigns on eBay as well.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 AM
bizlebee

im still a lil confused on the headlight topic.so i don't have to have a HID conversion kit for this type of bulb/headlights. correct?

im not to fond of the yellowish color trying to get a bulb with a whitish output any other bulbs u could suggest, also i do not want a HID conversion kit so i need something that is still bright

Last edited by bizlebee; 09-19-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:42 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

No, you don't have to. Usually, unless the kit on eBay says its designed for HID, its actually not designed for HID.

I'd order yourself some of the EuroDezigns. I'd stay away from the common types of blue bulbs, like Nokyas for example. I have their 100w H3 bulbs in my aftermarket fog lights and they work great, but I've heard bad things about their 9004 bulbs.

If you have some extra time, you might even want to rewire your headlamps (since you'll be in there anyway) with some automotive relays, to take power straight from your battery rather than going through your headlight harness. Check out the DIY page, its the last one on the list. I made that DIY, but I wasn't the first to do the trick. Trust me, it isn't a night/day difference, but its definitely noticeable. And it saves your headlamp switch from burning out, not a cheap thing to replace.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set of silverstars from the clearance section at target. For a pair I paid $4.99. They got rid of the yellow, but they don't seem to be any better for driving.
For the price... it was worth the try. My next purchase has yet to be determined.

I really want to get clear lenses for my stock foggers.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Kindschi
Veteran

I wish that listing had the part shown on the truck. Ive seen a few that look really good (such as yours) but when there on the truck they look like crap. Im very interested to see how yours turn out so please post up pics when you done.

Also I can get plug and play HID kits (has everything you need) for 129.99. You littarly plug it into you stock socket and put the bulb in the housing. I have them on my truck (check sig) and they work great.. If your interested just shoot me a pm.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
bizlebee

ok thx for the info but unfortunately they are in the mail and are due to be here monday..i hope -_-. i was just looking in advance to figure out what kind of bulb im gonna need for the output i want.i hope they look good too i have never seen any on a truck like mine so i really don't know how their going to turn out..hope this wasn't money well wasted.should have pics up by Tuesday by the latest

Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Looking forward to those pics on Tuesday bizlebee =)

Old 09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah be care ful we did thos on my buddyies 98 and we had to alot of rewiring in the unit to get the gadget to work and the headlights brighter

Old 09-21-2008, 09:30 PM
bizlebee

ok like i said i don't know very much about this area on my truck. so these lights have a halo and 3 leds that need to be tapped into my running/parking light wire where might i find the wire.where would it be easiest to access it and what does this wire look like? also i want them tapped into my running/parking lights not the turn signal lights so they stay on just when my running/lows/highs are on. but don't flash when i turn on the turn signal.

Quick Reply: projector lights