2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes Burn Hot on Dodges?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Dodgeman000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So would a Break setup from a 00 01 directly bolt up to a 99? Or would I have to get new steering knuckles to?

Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I like you guys go through front pads like crazy. I mean I get like 15-20k miles out of them. The first set was Raybestos and was worn out in that time. The second set was Chrysler OEM pads which seemed to wear better but I took them off to grease them up after hearing squeeking and they were all cracked so I put Raybestos pads back on. Higher end ones this time not the cheap ones. We will see how they do. They stop okay. Not the best but okay the pads just don't last. I have some Hawks I didn't get in time due to a mix up at Summit I kept for my next brake change so I will see how those are next.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bendix pads, shoes and drums have worked well for me
over the original equipement
and over Dodge's official upgrade kit for 1994 to 1996 Rams
but I have a 1995 with the Delco brakes

The Hawk pads get consistently good reviews,
and I have a set waiting to go on

EGR Brakes is one company offering upgrades:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/showcase/bigcaliper.php

http://www.egrbrakes.com/index-main.htm

Fred Goeske is best known for wheel adapters
but is also a true brake expert and craftsman

http://www.wheeladapter.com/fred_goeske.asp

Old 12-05-2009, 01:01 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay bringing this thread alive again...hopefully.

My number one thing I hate about my truck...the brakes! Here we go again.

When I brake now I hear a scraping sound. I know what that means cause it happened to me before...warped rotors. I just replaced the dang thing less than 10 months ago!

Anyway...I searched but did not find a DIY to replacement my brake to larger brake system. Anyone got any links? I don't want to just replace I have to upgrade to a larger brake system.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get the EBC Sport rotors and green stuff pads... that's what I did.. very easy to install

Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

I am also interested in upgrading my front brakes... I put the 1ton cylinders in the rear now i want better brakes up front. I really don't trust my brakes in an emergency stop.

Josh

Old 12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Originally Posted by iwhitne
I would get the EBC Sport rotors and green stuff pads... that's what I did.. very easy to install

I really hate to ask a dumb question but are those larger than stock? They look about the same form what I can see in pic. I was thinking of actually going larger...I think our braking system is just too small for our truck and especially for me with all the steep mountains I hunt in.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
Okay bringing this thread alive again...hopefully.

My number one thing I hate about my truck...the brakes! Here we go again.

When I brake now I hear a scraping sound. I know what that means cause it happened to me before...warped rotors. I just replaced the dang thing less than 10 months ago!

Anyway...I searched but did not find a DIY to replacement my brake to larger brake system. Anyone got any links? I don't want to just replace I have to upgrade to a larger brake system.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah these brakes suck on this truck. I just had to replace mine the other day again also. I'm not saying they don't stop decently as they do. Not great but decently. Better than some other trucks I've driven. However, the pads just don't last on these things.

BTW where did you get those EBC rotors? What did they cost you?

Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I realize this is an old thread but perhaps I could make a suggestion or two.

You could probably change over to 2000 up front brakes if you get the proper rotors and if you can bolt the caliper mounting rail to your hub.
After doing so, you will immediatly notice your brakes are no better than your old ones.

After going through several sets of pads...and I use H.D. Raybestos "Super stop" pads because they WILL stop my truck, I descovered a simple secret that improves my braking exponentialy. Here it is.

About every other oil change which (for me) occurs every 3 months or 3000 miles, I crawl under my rear bumper and pull the adjusting star covers off the backing plates. After popping off the rubber covers, I use a flashlight and screwdriver to check the rear brake adjustment.
It is amazing how many turns it will take sometimes to take out the slack. In fact, I can usually tell by my braking when I need to do it.
Now you can certainly spend a ton of money updating to uber trick pads and rotors, but all you're really doing is masking the issue.
Seriously...check your rears, before blaming your fronts. Oh, and if you're gone through 2sets of pads and haven't touched your rears, that should be a clue.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

On my 96 I changed to the 2500 brake calipers and it made quite a difference in braking I also run autozone's ceramic brake pads they make no noise but I still get some break dust but Ill live with it

Quick Reply: Brakes Burn Hot on Dodges?